MEAN Mommy!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy MEAN Mommy!!

I feel like such a mean mommy!! Here I am invading their space twice a day and scrubbing their cage shelves, wiping the caked poo off thier little back feet, and now I go and stick a needle in their back and let liquid flow under their skin!!

For those of you I haven't been talking to regularly, Elvis and Geri are having problems with soft stool. It isn't liquid, just soft and smushy. We went to the vet after the first 4 days of nothing clearing it up, and she looked at a fecal sample. She said there's something in there she's NEVER seen and described it as the Starship Enterprise. She even showed the other doctors in the practice and they were just as baffled.

So right now we're waiting on the results to come back from a lab she sent it to. In the meantime my babies are on a pellets, hay, water, and lots of shredded wheat squares diet. Then I noticed that only about 1 ounce of water was gone out of their bottle today, and normally it's about three to three and 1/2. I had to give them a shot of subcutaneous fluids, because they can easily get dehydrated with the diarrhea. Thankfully I still had some from when Elvis was sick but I've only got two needles and one syringe, so I'm probably going to have to make a trip back up to the clinic. *sigh* They're going to charge me $15 for that stuff! UGH!

Anyway ... just humor me and tell me I'm doin what's best for them and not being a mean mommy!!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:54 AM

Still with the soft poops!! Poor babies and Mommy! You aren't being mean, just a GOOD mommy! An extra treat or two when they're better will help them forgive you!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:56 AM

Aww... You're not being a mean mommy, you're being a good mommy. Sure, it's not fun for anyone to get a shot in their back, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to stay heathy! So, you're doing the right thing!!! I'll continue to keep Elvis and Geri in my prayers!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:04 AM

I'm so sorry Jade that you have to be tough and give your babies the care that they need. I know it will be tough on me when I have to give my baby medicine and he/she is not happy with me. My prayers and hugs go out to you.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:35 AM

Oh No they still have soft poops. Your not a mean mommy, your a mommy that loves your chin kids. Have you tried to give them baby rice cereal? How long does it take for the results to come back?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

She said it could take up to three weeks, and we're almost there. I'm going to call her today.

Stephanie

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:56 PM
mundjl

I'm so sorry your chins are sick!!! Have you tried giving them pedialyte? My chin was getting dehydrated when he was really sick and not drinking at all and he took cherry pedialyte really well so that might help out a little.
You are not being a mean mommy.... they'll forget all about it once they are well.
I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
Jen
Squeeker, Kazmo, and Pepper

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:31 PM

Jade, I know how you feel, you should see my claw markings from the eye creams and ear medicines for the cats....You're def not mean you are doing what ios best for them.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Good grief, woman! What else can happen with you group? I selfishly hope that Camden got out of there before any of these strange things could affect him!

If you are doing the fluids alone, I admire you. How much fluids do you give them at a time? When our old doxie was on fluids I would hang the bag on the handle for the kitchen cabinet (top one) and then sit her on the floor with the tubing stretching between us. Much easier than a syringe, but I realize that was dealing with probably a larger amount.

Be sure that you are inserting the needle from their back end toward their head - that way if they decide to jump and you aren't ready the needle will stay with you and not with them.

~~~~~well chin vibes~~~~~~don't worry vibes~~~~~~

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 05:28 PM

I was just thinking that having this done at home (man I admire you for being able to do that for your chins!) is saving your babies ALOT of stress too!

I hope they come back with some conclusive results for you!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Pssst! Critter honey, I've been working at an ER for about three months now and know which angle to put the needle! But thanks for the tip!

I'm giving them each 30 CCs at a time, which I do from a 35 CC syringe and extension tubing, so it isn't a very long process. I heat it to their body temperature so it isn't as unpleasant. To restrain them, they get put in my lap between my legs, with two fingers under their chin, one behind their head, and forefinger and thumb of my left hand lifting the skin while inserting the needle with my right hand. Easy? Not really .... but doable because I have to do it!

Me doing it at home was the only way I agreed to do it when Elvis was sick, Becki. It was already so stressful on him ... to be able to go back in his cage and recoup is so much better!

Thanks you guys for all your support!

Stephanie

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:43 PM
Princess in Waiting

Smile

You hurt my feelings!!

Not really - I have just run into so many people who don't know this simple little trick that I had to assume that you didn't either. And I'm talking people who have worked with animals for more than three months!!

I forget that you're smarter than the average bear!!

Sounds like you have a workable system going there - hope you don't have to do it much longer.

~~~~~~~get well chin vibes~~~~~~~

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

No Jade you are not a mean mommy you are a wonderful mom.You care so deeply for them and are so willing to take care of them and treat them at home which is allot less stressful on them.
Alot of people do not realize the importance of positioning a needle that way so if they jump or run it will come out.It is nice to work in a vet office isn't it
I learn alot thru where I work and love it more everyday.I am not a tech yet but do get to watch learn and sometimes assit if needed.
Keep up the good work and I pray your chins get better and tests results come back with good news
I have to say for a youngster you are doing great and I really admire you for it.

Tags
shredded wheat