Missing fingers! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Missing fingers!

Piglet and Miss Piggy are housed next to Scooter and Misty. There is a divider between the two cages. I had seen them a couple of times right after I got Scooter try to get at each other. Well I don't know if Piglet and Miss Piggy stuck their hands out far enough for scooter to get, but... the tip of one of Miss Piggy's fingers is gone, and a WHOLE finger of Piglets. The site of removal looked ok for a few days and free of infection, until tonight. Piglets spot looks real bad, all red and swollen. I'm trying to keep from going to the vet cause all of my credit right now is nearly gone due to Pooder (my prairie dogs') bladder stone surgery. I have a supply of Baytril antibiotic that I am now administoring a small dose. Is there any topical antibiotic that I can put on this wound to prevent further infection? I'm gonna keep a close eye on Miss Piggy too, I'm gonna hold off if possible on giving her oral antibiotic incase she is pregnant. I'm not for sure if Scooter did this to them, but they have been housed together for a long time and love each other. Can't think of any other explanation.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 12:05 AM

Clean the area and apply polysporin or neosporin, if it was fine til now he is probably biting at it. I would move their cage away from the others if you haven't already. If it does not improve within a day or so it is goign to require a vet visit. I wouldnt give the baytril without the vet saying so. Baytril can be dangerous to chinnies.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 04:08 PM
ChinCare.com

Wink How is he?

Often when chins get a scrape, unattended to it can get pus. That could be causing the swelling, I usually give it a gentle squeeze to eliminate the pus, then cleanse it with alcohol and put silvadene (an antibacterial veterinarian-prescribed cream) or 100% aloe vera on it. Baytril is a basic antibiotic for chins, whenever mine have an infection (we get rescues and sometimes their eye will act up) our exp exotics vet prescribes that to give the immune system a boost.

Anyhow, he's probably alright by now, hopefully!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Death to Baytril!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 08:17 PM

I agree with you Christi, Death to Baytril...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 02:48 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Yes I agree with Sassy and Christy.The vet gave my Grendel a shot of Baytril and 1 hour later he was dead.I will never let another vet ever give any of mine baytril

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Baytil can be very dangerous if not administered appropriatly. A lot of vets give too much, for instance when Pooder my Prairie Dog was sick and I took him to the emergency room he was prescribed like half a suringe full of baytril! fortunatly this dose was only administered once. When I took him to my regular vet (which is the #1 vet in exotics in Texas) he was prescribed Baytril also, but ONLY LITERALLY like 1 drop twice a day. I believe is was like .07ml, not even a full ml. I would never let a big dose anymore be administered to one of my animals. It is too strong of a drug. I have heard many stories of death caused by Baytril. People just remember, DONT LET YOUR VET GIVE THEM MORE THAN A DROP AT A TIME! Use serious precautions with this drug, if given the appropriate amount, it is very good on making a sick chin (or other animal) better, and decreases infection intensely.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

Tags
prairie dog, prairie dogs, regular vet, vet visit