Mom attacking baby! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Mom attacking baby!

Noelle the violet that had a baby Saturday has started to attack him. When the baby triesto nurse she literally bites him and throws him around the cage. I don't understand this. Of all the kits I have had I have never had a mother to do this. Anyone have any ideas why she could be doing this?

I have removed the baby because I am afraid that she will either hurt him badly or kill him. I m going to try to foster him to a mother that had kits 8 days before or just handfeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 08:21 AM

I have heard of this sort of thing once. A chin mom who had had many previous litters just fine just sort of snapped. Maybe its a sort of post-partum depression or stress or something. Maybe something is screwed up with her milk. Fostering is probably the best plan.

Good luck.

Patti
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Patti.

She seems fine now that the baby is out of the cage. I just don't understand this. Makes me wonder if I should ever try to breed her again and if this is why she was sold at the price she was. HMMMMM...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:27 AM

Oh sassy, I'm so sorry that this happened. I've never had anything like this happen before, but I have heard of it from someone once before. Did Noelle have babies with her previous owners? If so, would they tell you if she has done this before?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 03:04 PM

That's terrible, I hope fostering works out for you and the baby. All I can think of is that something might be wrong with the baby (I hope not) but then again I've only seen a mom ignore the baby in that case, not attack it... or maybe that's just how she is and that's why she was sold to you. Good luck with the baby!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 07:56 PM

i don't know anything about chinchillas, so all i can do is wish you luck with the baby. i hope that everything works out with him.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sassy - how frightening for you and the baby.

When I was doing rehab work, I discovered through both trial and error and books, that a mother animal of any kind will abandon or get rid of a baby that is not right in some way when it was born. I would hate to think that this is the case with your baby, but Mother Nature usually knows best.

I hope things turn out well with the hand feeding.

And thanks for hooking me up with Cedarview! Quick with the shipment and great to work with. Cam thinks those apple logs are just about as good as a raisin any day!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 04:06 PM

How are Mom and baby doing today?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Little Elmo is back with his mom, I think we figured it out. His teeth are really sharp and he is biting her, we added a additional pumice stone and extra chew blocks hopefully he will continue to nibble at them and not his mom. She still barks at him but has not tried to hurt him, we are watching very very closely.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 03:02 PM
buny2phat

I am glad to hear that everything is getting better. Good luck to you and I hope that he does stay with his mommy.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sometimes the most simple answers escape us, don't they? I worked for a vet who was always "looking for zebras" instead of just treating something simply.

Hope this continues to work - I think Lizgirl will understand this feeling when her little Thomas gets some teeth!

BTW, I bought some calcium balls from Cedarview Farms that are supposed to be "good and good for you" (a good Southern expression) that Cam just loves. They were cheap - just FYI.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the calcium balls from her too but have not gotten them yet, she was out at the time. I think I may just order them from another source. She was telling me how much the chins love them
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I am sorry to hear the baby and mom was having trouble.I do hope things are working out better now for both.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 01:04 AM

I'm so glad it was something easy like that! I think that's not too uncommon, I was reading in Alice Kline's book that ranchers sometimes cut the babies teeth to avoid that! I'm glad you found an easier way to deal with it though!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

I read that in the book too, but there is no way that I would ever cut their teeth. I think that I would rather handfeed for 8 weeks