moving with chins - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

moving with chins

I have 4 chins..and I am moving from Toronto To north of Vancouver. I can't sell them or leave them behind and we will be driving. If anyone has tips on minimizing stress... for a trip this long I would so appreciate it.

My thoughts now are to get them used to a smaller cage .. they live in a 7 room 4 storey condo at the moment. I have been putting them in a smaller cage to get used to it and alos considering a travel cage ... but still not feeling I am doing enough. Both my females are pregnant.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larger.jpg (9.0 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Normally a chin will fal asleep when put into a small cage.
Sometimes they get carsick, but thats very unusual.
Just put them in some transport cages, and let them sleem all the way

We've sold 6 babies, who all got to drive home when they were about 12 weeks old. I think the longest trip were about 2-2˝ houers, so it's not as long as you are planning on. But they just fell asleep, even though non of them had ever been in a small transport cage before

One of my chinnies were in a car 15-20 hours, before she got here, still no problem. She just slept the most of the way.

When you stop for breaks, offer them some water. Just put hay in with them, they don't need anything else for that short period of time

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
The distance is a 3 day drive and my hope is because they are so tame they will get used to it quickly.
One thing I was wondering is if a dog carrier (2) with a pair in each one - would make them feel safer as it is solid on the sides. I have found a wire travel cage as well but it is totally open .. made of wire only.

Your English is fine I aprreciate your response and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Will It Ever Change?

cute picture! i love all the arms and hands holding them lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Okay, thats a long drive

Just keep them in a small dark transport cage...
I thing you need to give them some food when/if you stop at night to sleep

We use a cat transport.
It's a bit expensive 44USD

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Adolescent Pup

not really great Idea to leave them in any thing plastic for to long. Their was someone on Chins n Quills who had her chins eat through there carrier. You may want to look into a 2 hole carrier and bring another large cage for night time use.

If your looking for a good over night cage I found this one for $40.00 at Wal-Mart "Perfect Pet Home" (comes in a green box)
its made for small dog and rabbits. (it works great for over night stays my guys love it)

- No Tools Required
- 22"W X 18"D X 17"H
-folds to about 1 inch flat

Also Edstrom Water Buddy are great cause they don't leak or drip ever!!!

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Last edited by Zack_the_Mouse; 03-23-2008 at 01:09 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

I will get 2 of the plastic cages- I thought they may feel safer in those. Goingto be interesting getting all these cages into a hotel room ..lol Think we better mtel it instead.... They will be in the back seat in van so we will not give them a chance to chew on it and provide sticks etc. Thanks for words and pics!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the mention of the water bottle... I had not yet thought of the motion and the bottle. Why I aprreciate all of you !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi all
I have visited the breeder and between your help and his , I am more comfortable with moving my chin family 3000 miles...
To add to what we already discussed he advised leaving alphalfa cubes and chewables in the cage for food and to keep them busy so less stress.. stressed the importance of distilled water .. due to changes in it on trip- use wire cages as opposed to a dog carrier as they will chew and chew... and .... chew.

They wil be fed nightly when we stop .. so all systems go on that issue...

Thanks to everyone that answered...

Tags
wire cage, wire cages