Moving question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Moving question

We will be moving on Friday. Dustie and Ben absolutely hate change. Ben was mad for 2 days for me moving the cage for about 15 minutes. We plan on taking them to my work while the trucks are being loaded.
My question is should I bring them to the new house while we unpack so they can watch us or keep them at work until it is quiet? My heart tells me to go ahead and move them where we will all be and can talk and love on them, but I don't know which is best.
Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Personally, I'd keep them in a quiet environment until you get settled in the house. Moving can be noisy, unorganized, and generally chaotic, which can add to the stress of the move for the animal.

Also keep an eye out during the move and for a few weeks after for any change in status, i.e. diarrhea, decreased appetite/drinking, and lethargy. I'm sure you know they hide symptoms until the very last moment, so the more observant you are, the better off they'll be.

Good luck with the move!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

I agree with Jade. Probably best to keep them in a quiet place. It varies with every chin though. My guy personally could care less where I take him. He doesn't get phased by car rides or cage cleanings or anything. He just sits in his little carrier, and waits for me to get done. It's funny. If your chins have problems with change... probably best to wait until things are quiet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I agree with everyone. Get their environment settled before you move them in.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I guess I will have to go get some blueberries to bribe Ben with. Dustie loves car rides-Ben hides in the corner and pouts. This is going to be a doozie for him. If he pouted for 2 days for me moving the cage I'll bet he will pout for at least a week!
I will take them to my back room at work on Friday morning. If will be nice and quiet there for them to sleep. I'll just plan on picking them up on Saturday morning. Saturday there should only be me, my mom and daughter there. My daughter is Ben's buddy and maybe she canhelp get him out of his funk!
Thanks everybody!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

We are moved! Boxes are still everywhere! Ben and Dustie are eating well. They have been given a few extra treats this week. But Dustie will not go to her bed. They have big coffee cans mounted high. It is a big deal to Ben who gets the one in the back. He will pout if he does not get it. She has been sleeping under the cans all week. And she just does not look happy. She raises her head and wants you to scratch behind her ears.....but just not happy.
Any ideas?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sounds like she is just adjusting to the change.....We recently got 2 more chinnies, and although one has adjusted well the other just wants to hide under the shelves and is showing some signs of soft poop, so the change is not doing well for her, but we are doing what we can to help that.
Just keep an eye on her, making sure she is eating and drinking normal and that her poop is normal, and if all remains okay then in a few days or so she should be back to normal.... You might want to let her know your there, but for the most part let her be for a few days to adjust to the new enviroment, however I'm sure there are other's that can give you some more sound advice
Hang in there!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Like Kim said, she's probably still adjusting to the new surroundings. Give her time and she'll come around.

Karen

[

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Dustie is back to normal. Ben ...well he is just Ben. Crazy as ever! They must have been fighting Thursday night. We got up to Ben hair everywhere. We are going to give them about another week and then move their cage to its place in the new house. We wanted to keep it so they could see as much as possible until it was home for them too.
Thanks for the advise! I worry about them too much!!

Tags
cage cleaning