My Chin Has Crusty Eyes - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

no. usually when you put a dominant animal with a timid one, the more dominant one will chew the whiskers off the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Why would it do that?
It's not normal behaviour...
Whisker biting is a form of furbiting...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeSue View Post
Interesting... about the whiskers. I've never heard of that one. Aren't they sensitive?
I very much doubt the whole whisker thing will work. They use them for feeling, not for being dominant.
But the hair is not sensitive in it self. It's the nerves the hair is attached to that's overly sensitive, compared to nerves going past normal hairs

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Whisker chewing is not the same as fur chewing. It is a dominant chin behavior. I have personally observed chins change their behavior after whiskers are trimmed.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 PM

That's just not true.
If they change behaviour it's because their world gets smaller.
They use their whiskers to feel the world around them...

If you suddently lost most of your sight, don't you thing you would change your personality?

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
That's just not true.
If they change behaviour it's because their world gets smaller.
They use their whiskers to feel the world around them...
I hear what you are saying Pia but chins use whiskers for more than you think. Some dominant chins show their dominance by chewing the whiskers of the less dominant chin. I am not the only one who believes this. It is common knowlege in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
If you suddently lost most of your sight, don't you thing you would change your personality?
Yes it would change my personality. However when a chin's whiskers are trimmed they are still able to feel the world around them. They adjust to the lack of whiskers very well.

When a chin's whiskers are trimmed the chin is more likely to accept a chin it has never met.

It's OK to have a different opinion.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
chinchilla breeder

I agree with Cathy. It is widely accepted here and the wiskers do grow back. I have often noticed in my colonies (I have 20 colonies and 5 pairs) there is often only 1 chinchilla with full length wiskers and she is clearly the boss of the cage. She (usually a female) seems to groom the other wiskers down.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Yvy
Newborn Pup

Hi, am aware I'm joining your conversation, but Ive just adopted 2 chins, Father and Son aged 2 and 6 months. The pet shop were under the impression that they had been housed together and were fine the day they were brought into the shop,(when I visited). 3 days later they were allowed to come home with me and almost immediately I noticed the younger one losing his whiskers. Checking with the vet it seems that they were probably not housed together and due to stress of moving around he was 'barbering' the younger one. this is normal and does not harm them but you need to keep an eye on it as when I collected them I also noticed that the baby had sore looking eyes, again the father was biting (gently) around his eyes which as lead to infection. Ive put a cage separator in now so they can see each other and huddle together thru the wire but not enough to barber. The baby is on antibiotics and eye drops which I am hoping will do the trick.

Basically my advice is put them together so they can see each other but not in same cage for a couple of weeks, then maybe when its playtime put them together but keep an eye on them all the time.

I agree with the advice of trimming the whiskers as this hopefully will remove the problem I have had which I believe can become a habit. My babys whiskers seem to be growing back fine now.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM
chinchilla breeder

The gentle biting was the one chinchilla grooming the other, that is not likely the cause of the sore. What does the sore look like?

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Yvy
Newborn Pup

Hi so sorry for late reply (internet prob). Know may not get answer now but anyway his eyes had white discharge and fur looked chewed all around making them look worse than maybe were, however kept finding eyes glued closed and having to bathe with slightly damp cotton wool to clean and open. Its now weeks later and completed all eye drops and 2nd set antibiotics and he looked ok but not completely better. Separated them and he has been fine - except they love to sit and sleep together so at the minute they are in a cage that is fine for 2 so long as have plenty exercise outside cage (which they do), howver as have separator in middle they are quite restricted for 'playing' in cage. Ive been opening the divider door regularly then separating when his eyes start the discharge but really want and need a bigger nicer cage for them so they have more play area when in it. Ive seen loads that would be perfect but have no dividers so any help or ideas anyone has please help. And why does this gentle 'grooming' cause problems?

Tags
eyes crusty, eyes droopy