Is my chin in heat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Is my chin in heat?

Hi all, I was just wondering...
I was cleaning Hayley's bottom yesterday and I noticed around her vaginal opening there is goo and some crusty matter. Is she in heat? Is there anyway to clean it? I looked in my chin books but I couldn't find any information about it, so I decided to ask here. So far you guys have been great to me. Thanks for any help.
Kellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

hmmm seems like no one is sure what this is...I haven't found any information about it, and I did talk with other chin vets in parts of the state, but I made an appointment with my vet to see what is happening, for the five dangerous words are "maybe it will go away". Im not going to take a chance. I will let you all know how she is doing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Part of the Pack

Good luck at the vet. I hope your little girl get better soon.

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Sorry I haven't responded to this thread!

I actually had to take one of my girls in recently. She was excessively cleaning herself in her genital area and I was worried. The vet said it could be she was going through her estrus(sp?) cycle, or it could be something else. He said he found some bacteria in there, and didn't want to take a chance of it being something worse, so he put her on some antibiotics. When we took her for a recheck, he said everything looked good!

Karen

[

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Glad to know someone had a similar problem! I took Hayley in yesterday I made the appointment last week thursday! That just shows how busy my vet is. Anyway he took a sauve and he said that she has a vaginal infection (similar to women's yeast infections) and he put her on some antibiotics. We made it banana flavor, she loves banana chips! I just gave her her first .2ml this morning, she'll get another .2ml tonight. He told me it will clear up in about 3 days but give her the medicine until gone. She's not to crazy about taking it, but at least I was successful. So I'll let you all know how she's doing after the meds are gone. I'm sure she's going to be just fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 AM
Part of the Pack

Glad to hear that you found out whats wrong. I hope she gets better soon!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks Kandy, Hayley is doing well, this is day 5 of her medication, and the infection is clearing nicely, she still has a long way to go on the meds but she's doing a lot better and I can tell she is feeling better because she is enjoying play time much more! I will keep everyone updated, but so far no repercutions.