My chinchilla is covered in Crisco; what do I do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

My chinchilla is covered in Crisco; what do I do?

My 3 year old daughter poured half of a glass measuring cup of room temperature Crisco on our chinchilla, Chili, while she was helping my husband make dinner. I immediately gave him a bath in water and no-tear shampoo and completely dried him with the blow dryer, however he is still greasy and he is unhappy. He's chirping and not enjoying his banana chips in his dinner. His ears are down and he just looks sad.

I know that water baths are not good for chinchilla fur and skin and the fear of him getting cold and ultimately sick is real; however, I know he is uncomfortable and miserable in his skin.

There are no specialized vets around and I do not know who else to turn to.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what will be best for my Chili? He and I will be grateful for your advice. Can anyone think of what must of been going on in her head that made her think that greasing Chili would have been a good and industrious idea? Anyone taken Abnormal Childhood Psychology?

Thanks,

chilichinchilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chili.JPG (31.2 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Will It Ever Change?

give him a huge dust bath. let him have it all night, he might bathe over and over. the dust will get it all out slowly i'd think.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 PM

well it seems like a bath is the best thing
way back when all those bird were covered in oil from that ocean oil spill they used dawn and toothbrushes to get into the feathers maybe try that
ya know the dawn dish soap
i would be carefull with it and take your time
it wil be tramatic for you little guy but if he is as bad as you say i think you should do something poor chin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 PM

I would NOT use water bath...i would only use dust bath! if a chin has a water bath and doesn't get dry (no matter how dry you think they are, their fur is THICK) it could lead to mold/etc. growing in their fur
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM

I agree with the suggestion of letting him have a dust bath over night. That should help.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if chins hate getting wet and dont dry how do they live in the wild?

i think it was good you gave him a water bath and then i would use the dust bath for him to get the rest out and i would really use stuff to clean his ears well it could cause serious ear problems

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Since you already used the water, I would give him a big dust bath.

*Missy*
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I dont have any chinchillas, so I really cant help too much, but it sounds like everyone is giving great ideas. I was just going to say, with your daughter, she probably had no idea what she was even doing. Since she is only three I wouldnt think that anything is wrong with her...just an accident. Im sure that after a little talking to about why it could hurt your chinchilla she wont be dumping anymore oil on Chili. Good luck with both of them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

alot of times kids just are trying to figure out what would happen. experimenting with cause and effect. like i wonder what the difference between this and water is? this looks like water..

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:37 PM

Chins live in the mountains in caves and nooks in the rocks and such. They take baths in volcanic ash (dust) and get most of their water from the plants they eat.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 PM

and they hid in burrows when it rains...aka..not exposing their thick fur to rain

Hope the dust bath helps!!!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i really cant picture them or gp or hamsters running around in the wild

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:17 PM

I had a chinchilla that would love to pee and sleep in the same spot. Needless to say his beautiful white fur was constantly yellow. I had to give him water baths with a gentle soap to clean his fur. I towel dried him first and used the blow dryer on a very low setting. I never had problems with his fur developing mold. Not to mention, he always groomed himself afterwards which helped the drying process.

I don't think a dustbath will get rid of the residue of the Crisco.

As a sidenote, I hope your daughter doesn't do anything like that again.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I appreciate your helpful advice. You all are so caring.

chilichinchilla
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:28 PM

You can try baby wipes and see if it helps at all, that's the most safe thing after dust baths.

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, litter train, litter trained