My chinchilla turned mean! Help! D:! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy My chinchilla turned mean! Help! D:!

My chillchilla used to be quite nice but lately he's been growling and barking? Lol He gets really mean when I come within 2 feet of his whole cage. His pupils are very large and kindof blue. He stands up and lunges his head at me to bite when ever i try to pet him. But his behavior changes drastically in such short time. He will be very angry one second, but once I can pet him, he is very nice and social with me when I hold him. He acts completely unscared until I put him back in his cage. He also grinds his teeth when he is angry. It's a really loud noise and sounds like he's chewing on pebbles. I have never been abusive towards him or hurt him and have not noticed any injuries on him. Do you know what may have caused him to become so aggressive so suddenly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Zoo Keeper

he could be cage aggressive I have a hamster like that THROWS A FIT when you even try to put food in his cage but once you have him out he is SO sweet.

This is usually due to small cages and lack of handling

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Betta Bomb

Can chinchillas suffer from over active hormones like bunnies? Maybe he is cage aggressive since you mentioned he's fine until you put him back. I would suggest (at least for a smaller animal) to get a gardening or heavy duty oven glove and get him used to your hand being in his cage. The glove will protect from bites. Get him a cave so he can hide of he's scared. If he is truly cage aggressive then he needs to be tamed into knowing you bring the food. Teach him to take treats from your hand too.
Does he have a cooling stone? I know it's hot in many places maybe he's just mad bc he's really warm? Though Chins come from Mexico they require a ceramic cooling stone. I saw these at pet stores but you can probably buy them online cheaper.

You can feel his body all you want, if he has something internally wrong you might not notice until it's too late. Many prey animals are capable of hiding their symptoms till the very end. If he keeps it up, have him looked at.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Zoo Keeper

you dont even need to buy a cooling stone a large sterilized rock works just as well

Proud Mommy to-

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Betta Bomb

Same thing. Just make sure it's very clean before giving to to him!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Zoo Keeper

Yeah you actually shouldn't boil them sadly So you have to just scrub it clean before giving it to him and yeah I know its the same thing I was just letting them know you don't have to go out and buy one

Proud Mommy to-

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks guys He has been acting much better lately. I have an air conditioner in my room to keep it cold for him so I dont think that's the problem. He could just be protective of his cage. But I don't know why he would all of a sudden start doing that. I have been handling him a lot more and he seems to be dOing much better. thank you so much.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Rodentologist

You mention that his pupils are "kind of blue" now. That's not normal and sounds like he may be going blind or developing cataracts. He needs to go to the vet. Any drastic behavioral change should always be checked for medical causes.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Zoo Keeper

I didnt notice that I agree if he is losing his sight that can cause aggression I would get him to the vet

Proud Mommy to-

Tags
aggressive, barking, chinchilla