My little girls not eating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My little girls not eating

My little girl (whos almost 10 years old) Mitzie had a tooth that had grow out and was starting to cut into her gum. it was just the one tooth and we took her to the vet thats about 3 hours from here (there more experience with Chinchillas) and they trimmed that and her lower front teeth, but ever since we found she doesn't want to eat anything but treats. I can get her to eat crackers, cheesies, and banana chips but nothing else. I'm getting worried about her because she had already lost weight from her tooth bothering her. I have a supplement I got for her from that vet called Critical Care for herbivores, which is a suppelment for small rodents like Chinchillas, Guinea Pigs, etc, but they only gave me three days worth and was wondering if anyone else has ever come across this problem, and if there's anything that I can do to help get her eating her pellets again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Rodentologist

First of all, please stop feeding her crackers and cheese, they're not good for her! Chinchillas are strict herbivores (so no dairy products).

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Jennicat:
I agree with the no cheese, but the strictly herbivor thing is not interily true...

But back to the topic.
You need to make your own food for her.My guess is, that her mouth still hurts.

1. Boil some water
2. Add some pellets

The pellets should desolve in the water, and you whould end up with a lumpy gruel.
You can feed her this via a spoon or you can just put it into her food dish. you should throw it out after a couple of houers.
It's very important that there's some pieces in there, she can chew on, but also stuff she hasen't got to chew on.

If you have some sort of treat (chinchilla safe) she really likes, you can put a few of them in with the water and pellets, to give it a nice flavour.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you so much Chinchi. Thats what I was thinking having surgery on her mouth was probably really painful, and although the tooths better it probably still hurts to eat. I will definitely try that. And she doesn't get really any diary a chessie is a type of crisp with no real cheese in it, its just orange in colour, its almost the same ingredients as the cracker really just softer. But I will try softening her pellets for her and see if that helps. Thank you so much again!

Tags
chinchilla, not eating, teeth trimmed