My poor chinny Chinny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Unhappy My poor chinny Chinny

As some of you may know, I adopted three chinchillas from the shelter. They'll have been here two weeks on Thursday.

The only way they'd allow me to adopt them is if the males were neutered. I wanted them badly, so I had to agree to it.

The adoption counselor told me to look for any swelling, which is what I had been doing. On Sunday, I looked at Chinny and was alarmed at how swollen it was down there. Immediately, we jumped in the shower, got dressed and were off to the emergency vet.

They did find some puss in there, and put a drain tube in there, bandage and all. By the next day, the little pooper had gotten the bandage off! I should have known he would do that.

Today he was taken back to have that drain tube removed. The vet there said he couldn't find any more fluid and that we'd have to use a warm compress on there to help with the swelling. Yeah, like a chinchilla is going to hold still for ten minutes having something warm put in that area.

Well, to us it doesn't look better. I thought it did at first, but upon getting a really good look at it, it looks a tad better, but not much at all.

I'm taking him to my regular vet tomorrow. I'm hoping they can do something for him. He's already on some medication....but that's about all.

Please pray my little Chinny gets better! I love him dearly.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Try putting some all natural honey on the areas where the drain was. That was what finally kicked Elvis' scrotal infection after nearly 2 months of multiple openings of the site. Definitely get some oral antibiotics if you haven't already, probably something strong like Baytril or the like. I'd take him back to your vet tomorrow.

Hang in, keep him eating, and keep your chin up.

Stephanie

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I am sending healing thoughts!!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Steph, he's on enrofloxacin right now. That's what the emergency vet gave him. He'll be on it for another 7 days.

He's definitely going back tomorrow to the vet, and I'm requesting one of two vets. The vet I usually go to I like, but in a case like this, I'd rather have someone that REALLY knows about chins looking at him.

All natural honey...would I get that at a regular grocery store or would I have to go to a health food store for that?

Karen

[

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You may have to go to a health food store, though grocery stores are starting to carry it more and more. What you want is unpasteurized honey - you might call around and make them look, save yourself a trip.

The enrofloxacin (for anyone who doesn't know) is indeed Baytril, so that's good they started him on it already.

Stephanie

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Chin Lady, Heres hoping that your sweet Chinny will recover quickly. You have very good namepicking skills, my boy chin is also named Chinnie Good wishes to you and your Chinny .

Lois Isabel

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

sending healing vibes! Poor little gafer...

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Phawn, actually he came with that name. When we adopted him, I was going to change it, but I couldn't think of anything, so he kept the name.

Now, Einstein was changed to Rizzo (Einstein doesn't sound at all like a girl's name!) and Oops (who was the baby, hehe) was changed to Babaganush.

Thanks for the tip Steph. I'll be at Wal-Mart tomorrow and may have to stop by the health food store out here. I'll definitely make sure to write it down so I know exactly what I'm looking for!

Karen

[

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

Ohh i see, we didnt plan on naming our chin that either it just ended up being his name. We planned on only calling him that until we thought of something better then we realised that it had become his name and that he was responding to it. Also we couldnt think of anything that suited him better than chinnie

Lois Isabel

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I hope he gets better soon. Poor guy. Sending some positive healing thoughts your way.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Thanks Chrisanne, Lizz, Bex, Phawn and Steph!

He's at the vet right now. The vet took a quick look at him and decided they'd have to do some surgery today on him. I'm glad I took him to my regular vet, at least there they know what they're doing and have experience with chinchillas.

I feel so bad for him. He's been through so much in the little time I've had him. I just hope and pray that he does well in the surgery and this time he won't have to go back again to the vet, at least not until his next check-up. I'm going to have to buy him something special today at work.

Karen

[

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

for the little guy. I hope he does alright!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Irregular and Proud!

Sorry to hear about your situation. Neutering is one of those things that is hard in chins. If they pull their testicals into their abdomen and the abdomen has to be opened up, its a whole new ballgame.

You and Chinny are in my prayers. That honey thing worked well for Elvis. Hopefully with antibiotics and honey, he will make a full recovery.

By the way, to avoid another Oops (love the name), remember that chins (and guinea pigs) can father children up to 6 weeks after being neutered. This is how Maureen had her baby.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Part of the Pack

Poor little Chinny dude. I hope he heals up quickly, I think it is ridiculous that they required you to neuter those poor chins considering it is such a difficult procedure for them! Obviously those people did not do their research on neutering/spaying chins!

Sending good vibes your way.. he is a lucky boy to have you.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Aww, that is so sad! That is disappointing the males had to be neutered! That is not like spaying or neutering a cat or dog! Here's wishing your little guy gets better Karen.

Tags
emergency vet, guinea pig, health food store, regular vet, vet tech