Need C-section help!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Need C-section help!!!!

I'm having my first chin have a c-section right this moment. She delivered one baby but she cannot push out the other THREE.

I need any and all previous experiences that anyone might have gone through after their chin delivered.

Will she be able to nurse any surviving babies is my big question?

Can she be on shavings?

To they tend to leave stiches alone?

Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope everything goes well!!! Im keeping them all in my thoughts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:25 PM

NO to shavings use a soft towel (preferably fleece) til her stitches or staples come out...
She should be fine nursing her surviving kits. (I have had two csections this year-one mom lost the kits while the other ones survived mom did fine with nursing)
My vet used staples on the first one, and stitched the other from inside and used that glue stuff. I prefer staples.

You, your little girl and the kits are in my thoughts and prayers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

T-shirts (white) work well as bedding too - they're absorbent and you can see any discharge as well as urine color.

Best of luck, Brenda!

Stephanie

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I have no advice to offer but I just wanted to say that I hope everything goes well.

Rhonda

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips everyone and support

Sadly by the time the c-section happened, the 3 kits had passed sad.gif One baby had turned sideways in the birth canal. I am very saddened for them to make it to full term and then die this way.

I do still have the little standard vc boy that was already born this morning when I found them. He seems active and alert. He is 44 grams which seems quite small since my babies lately have been on the larger side. Mom, Athena, seems to be doing well. She is still quite groggy. The baby was with her all day except, of course, when she was in surgery. I'm hoping he was able to get some milk. He was wandering around the cage checking things out and doesn't seem to be frantic to get to mom's nipples. I'm hoping this is a good sign. I offered supplement and he didn't seem to want anything to do with it. I'll try again later. Mom did pick up a pellet and chew on it but she is resting now. Surgery only happened 7 or so hours ago so I guess this is to be expected.

They gave me tribrissin instead of baytril so I'm hoping she keeps an appetite. I don't see any sutures so they must of used glue. I'll be watching them both closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy
My vet used staples on the first one, and stitched the other from inside and used that glue stuff. I prefer staples.
Looks like my vet used glue. May I ask about the staple preference? Just wondering if there is anything I should look for at the suture site with the gluing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:44 PM

Bailey (glue) chewed on her incision whereas Livy (staples) did not. Both healed fine, I guess it is just a personal preference.

I am sorry to hear about the losses.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:50 PM

I'm so sorry Brenda, but congrats on the one kit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:50 PM

I am sorry about the kits you lost, but thankfully mom and the boy pulled through. I hope she rocovers well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm sorry about your loss. Good luck with mom and her remaining baby.

Rhonda

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 AM

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Two things. I had a chin who had four actual stitches when her leg was amputated, and she left them alone. Whether they chew may also be dependent on the chin.

Second, if she doesn't have an appetite, you can get Oxbow Hay's Critical Care for her. It is like an alfalfa smoothy with acedopholis (to balance intestinal bacteria). I used to give antibiotic and follow with Critical Care. Oxbow only dispenses it on veternary recommendation, so your vet will need to call it in.

Good luck.

Patti