Need help: early pregnancy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Chinnie_girl

Need help: early pregnancy

My friend needs some help and I would like to know how to help him. He bought a chin (male) and then bought another one which he was told was male. Well she happens to be female. They are 4 months old and we think the female is pregnant. She weighs 473g. I need some help big time here. Is she going to make it through the pregnancy? What can we do or give her to help her out? Maybe put on some weight, extra vitamins, ect. We are both really concerned and very upset with the breeder. Will she be okay?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The most that I would do is supplement her. I would use some Nutri-Cal and add some oats to her diet, along with plenty of hay and pellets. You might look into one of the supplements out there like Kline's, but I'm not entirely sure what it contains or if it would even do any good in this case.

You don't want her to gain weight rapidly, as this can lead to liver overload and possible failure.

The other thing is to have a vet with chinchilla experience on notice that she's pregnant and may need a c-section. (The vet could probably spay her in the process, if your friend doesn't want to breed her down the road.) Her pelvis probably isn't large enough to pass a baby, which is the major complication in early breedings. http://www.cachins.org has a listing of vets for different areas, if your friend doesn't have one already.

Just keep a close watch on her for any sign of complications, such as labored breathing, lethargy, or even constant whimpering with no apparent reason. And last of all, make sure the two are separated.

Best of luck, and welcome to Paw-Talk!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Chinnie_girl

Well she is here with me so I can take care of her. I know about breeding where my friend doesn't so he feels better with her here with me. This is why we think she is pregnant, my frined walked in on the last minute of them mating and he could tell that they were, then he found a plug 1cm so Im assuming its a heat plug, and of course the male had the famous hicups. When she was brought over here I checked her out and she had a white substance still on her so I am assuming it's semen. What are the chances of the pregnancy taking on such a young chin? I am very worried about her so I have extra room here and we don't want a breedback.
I am so stresses and my Vet knows whats going on. I do give her Nutrical, Oats and Mazuri food.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It's possible for a female that young to get pregnant, though typically they go into their first estrus at 6 months, I think.

Unfortunately there isn't much else that you can do, aside to keep a close watch on her and weigh her OFTEN.

Stephanie

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:11 PM
Chinnie_girl

Okay thanks. I am growing very attached to her and I know this is going to be a rough 4 months. She is such a sweetie and this is just terrible.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You're welcome. Anytime you have a question, there are several experienced breeders who frequent the forum that will probably be able to help you.

Just try to keep your own stress level as well as hers down -- remember, she can sense your stress too. Again, best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

Stephanie

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Chinnie_girl

I know I need this form to help me relax a bit. It's so hard when you have a young chin pregnant and I just want the best for her. Do you know if young chins like this survive a pregnancy? I just lost a chin also so this is just overwhelming.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

There's really no way of telling. I've heard of chins that low in weight surviving, but it all depends on whether her pelvis is large enough, or if the vet can save she and/or the kits if not. It's really in someone else's hands. The best we can do is be aware.

Hang in there!

Stephanie

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Chinnie_girl

I know nobody can tell me she will be fine but somehow I just keep searchin for it, lol.
I have a female who was supposed to give birth in 2 weeks to find out she had her heat again, grrrr. It's the ones you don't want pregnant getting pregnant!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Jade has summed it up and given you some great advice!!

Please know we are all here for you and will help however we can. Keep us posted!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:14 PM

I agree Jade has said everything that I would say. I would suggest to weigh her weekly.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:46 PM

Smile

Chinnie Girl,

I am glad you are seeking advice. I have had experience with a young female getting pregnant and I can offer you some insight. My female was 4 months old when she got pregnant and I was devastated. Yes, it was entirely my fault. I thought I had a keen eye on her and my homo ebony male during playtime and I swear, I turned my head not even for several seconds and the deed was done. I prayed she wasn't pregnant but after weeks went by, all signs indicated that she was truly pregnant. I was scared out of my mind and thought I was going to cause her an early death. I sought the knowledge of a very experienced chinchilla breeder and she calmed my fears. She said, the act has already been done and there were two factors involved in the outcome of this pregnancy. One being a sound diet and the second being genetics. Tweety (my female) was on the Kline pellet and supplement. The Kline supplement has added calcium which benefited her during the pregnancy. Since Tweety's parents came from good genes and her mum is a blocky chinchilla, the outcome was good for her pelvis to be able to handle the baby. I monitored her very carefully during the 111 days she was pregnant and luckily, I was not working when she gave birth, in the event she needed to be taken to the vet.

It turns out Tweety had given birth all by herself to a beautiful hetero ebony that I named Sebastian. I had to supplement Sebastian on and off for roughly 4 or 5 days but Tweety did an excellent job with providing Sebastian the milk he needed. So, all is not lost and there is hope your female will do just fine with her pregnancy. I suggest getting extra calcium in her diet, monitoring her to make sure there is no spotting in the cage (that could very well indicate she may have had a miscarriage and the fetus is inside of her), and most importantly getting the name of a good vet you can count on in case of an emergency. You want to also make sure you have supplement for the kit(s) in case you do have to hand feed. There are a few alternatives for hand feeding and those would be: whole milk with baby cereal, or goats milk with baby cereal. There is also something ChinWorld sells for very weak kits and I can not think of the name of it but I will post it later once I remember.

If you notice any signs of your chinnie being lethargic, spotting or being in labour for an excessive amount of time, call the vet ASAP, don't wait. Posting here is a good step but only your vet will be able to take care of your chinchilla within a crucial amount of time.

Good luck and I will say a prayer for your female and hope all is well with her pregnancy.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:08 PM

When handfeeding a kit or sick chinchilla you can add DYNE to the mixture.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:13 AM

I wish you luck!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:20 AM
Chinnie_girl

Oh that just made my morning. Im glad she was able to deliver. My biggest concern would be her pelvic opening. Im trying to figure out how to check her pelvic opening. I also plan to call my vet to see if he knows how to do an emergency c section. I really hope she didn't get pregnant but every mating sign is there. I will do everything I can to help her. She gets nutrical, calcium, vitamin C, and mazuri food. She is a big girl for her age.
Thanks for the advice.

Tags
hetero ebony, homo ebony