need help with a stressed chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Question need help with a stressed chinchilla

I need some ideas on how to get a chinchilla to trust me again. I'm not sure if I've lost her trust years ago (I've owned her for 4 years) or recently. I've searched the web and haven't found much info on such topics. She used to hop on my lap, play with my hair, and try to get out of her cage to greet me as soon as I would get home. I let her out all the time now (I never used to), got her a new friend, she always has food and plenty of things to chew on. I've done some things I'm aware that could have lost her trust for me but I want to gain it again and have my little playful Chella back. So, any ideas? Add a little more variety in her food? Buy her some scented dust bath? Do these kind of things help in building a bond with a pet chinchilla? If not, what is? Now that I think about it.. I only tried to bond with her once I got her and kind of just kept her in the cage and would let her free roam, nothing else really. Treats.. Is it to late?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 12:03 PM
It's all for them

Hello and welcome to Paw Talk! I don't know anything about chinchillas but wanted to welcome you. I'll be watching this thread, maybe I can learn something too.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Playful Pup

You don't want to change her food or dust bath...that can lead to more stress for her. Chins aren't real keen on their environments being changed a lot and it can take them a while to adjust. It sounds like you need to spend more time with her out of her cage and let her run over you and stuff like that. Maybe a smaller room for play where the two of you are in there together to make her interact more. A bathroom, (making sure the toilet lid is closed, of course) and that she can't get her foot stuck in any drains, would be a good choice. Put some toys in there with you and sit on the floor and let her run around...maybe offering a treat to get her to come closer to you. You don't want to overtreat her though...that could make her sick. You kind of have to keep up with connecting with your chin too and building friendship with her. I don't think it's too late by any means. It will take time though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Nipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 04:02 AM

Unhappy needed help here pls

Hallow there.

My name is Wind Chan from Singapore. I basically own a pet shop not long ago and found this problem on and of in my chinchillas health.
I will be very grateful and lots of thanks if you can give me some advice here.

My chins are imported from Holland every month, about 10 to 15 chins a month.
I read about chin and know that after transportation, most of the chins will get stressed and develop soft poo or eventually lead to diarrhea.
And some of them will take very long time to tune over…

Its true in my shop. Most of my chin come here and start having soft poo after two or three days they have been here.
Some of them take very long time to tune over… in fact in this few months three of my customers came back for refund that after buying my chin for two day or three, the chin start to having diarrhea and died few days later.

I’m feeding my chins Oxbow chinchilla pellet and timothy hay to my chin and supply “Vito-sol-liquid Multi-Vitamin” to my chins in their water daily.
My shop is cool, and air-condition. Cleaning of cages is daily. Sometimes we do give Alfafa hay to them also, but not very often.

anyone can advice? is there anything I can do to prevent the soft poo problem?

Last edited by Wind Chan; 05-07-2011 at 04:27 AM.

Tags
chinchilla behavior