Need Information Please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Misty

Exclamation Need Information Please!

I need help finding out what I have ... I know it is a chinchilla, but it is 5 months old and weighs only 202 grams, it's ears are smaller than a normal chinchilla, it's head is in porportion to it's size, a tail about half the size of a normal chin and hopps like a bunny! (I accused the momma of mating with a chipmonk! ~ that's what this little fur-ball reminds me of :o))

HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 06:26 PM
Misty

Unhappy Photo of ???

This is "Tiny" my little ???:hershey:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tinyes.jpg (38.9 KB, 73 views)

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 06:30 PM
Misty

Photo of ???

Another veiw of "Tiny"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-1.jpg (48.1 KB, 73 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:18 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Looks like a normal 5 month old chinchillas to me. If it actually is smaller than normal, at the most, you have a dwarf.

Welcome to the forum!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:26 AM

I agree with Christi,

Welcome to the forum!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Misty

Question Chin Size

I guess I should have put one up with a compare it with.
There is only 2 days difference in the age of these two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandytiny.jpg (34.4 KB, 57 views)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 12:37 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I have twins that were born on the same day from the same parents and the female is twice the size of the male. Like people, some chins grow and develop more slowly than others - it doesn't mean anything usually.

Btw, cute chins!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Misty

Smile Chin Size

Thanks! Christi. This one just looks to tiny compaired to the rest of my chins the same age and it's face, head, ears, tail and size are so much smaller than the rest. I just wondered.

Tiny just seems "different" to me and everyone who sees him in person make remarks similar to that. Guess I'll just wait and see if he gets to a normal size later.

God bless you all for the help!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Fertile Myrtle

You're welcome!! It is possible that he is a dwarf or that he's just a small chinchilla. Do you know his parents' genetic background?

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I still have alot to learn about chinchillas but when I bought Sabachin he was 4 months old and weighed a few grams more than my 6 week old boys.He is still small for his age next to mine

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Misty

Smile Tiny's Background

Tiny came from a breeder in N.C. from two normal sized chinchillas. He does not know of any minatures in the parents background, but is going to keep a close watch on the mother and the other females in the same run.

At first I thought he might be a dwarf, but it is my understanding that dwarfs have a head and ears the same size as a full size chin and are out of porportion to it's body.

Minatures are just much smaller than a regular chin and are in porportion in size all over, or so I have been told.

I'm a hobby breeder with 59 chinchillas (58 all normal size). Still learning.

I can find little or no info on minature chins. Tried Mary-Ann Holden, but could get no response.

Thanks for all your help!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 08:11 AM
Fertile Myrtle

IMO there is no such thing as a miniature chin. Some are smaller than others and therefore shouldn't be bred as that is not a desirable trait, just as dwarfism is not.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Misty

Thumbs down Breeding

I had not planned on breeding him ... he is going to be my own personal little fur ball

I just wanted to know more about him, if possible. He's to cute to let anyone else have him!

I think the bigger the chin, the prettier and healthier they are. That is my goal with all my chins.

Tiny is not "pretty", but he is cute. I just want to be on the look out for any problems there might be due to his size.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I think tiny is very beautiful is there a possibility he may start growing later on?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Misty

Smile Hi Runt

Thanks for the encouraging thought and compliment on Tiny Hopefully he will grow, but if he doesn't ~ gonna love 'em anyway!
Take care and God bless.

Misty