Need new solutions to bath time - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Need new solutions to bath time

I have a 2 hole breeding run without auto dusters, bought from the Ryerson's. So I have the dust pans that they sell on lonestarchinchilla.com Well Stimpy isn't thrilled about the pans. He acts like he can't flip and toss in them to take a bath. I've tried to take him and putt him in the super pet houses but he justs sits there and trys to get out of the house. I'm pretty sure he's getting dust baths but I never see him do it. His fur isn't dusty like you'd find at ranchers. It's like barly dusty. What can I do!?

Brandy

Buckeye Country Chins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Proud New Mommy

Im not sure, I was going to post a thread about Whiskers. He's a new chin and, for the life of me, this chinchilla won't take a bath. I can't figure out why... I need suggestions too! Im really sorry I couldn't help you, Im having the same problem.

Since we are quarentining him we can't let him take a bath with another chin but maybe you could try that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Bathing with another chin is a good idea or simply letting him watch another chin. When I first got Fivel he wouldn't take a bath, so I'd put him in the house and put the dust on his back and rub it in and kinda lay him over - then I'd let him watch the girls or bathe with them and he finally got it.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

I can't putt Stimpy with another chin because I just got her Saturday and she's came from a pet store and even though the home had no other chins I still have to quarentine her. She takes baths fine but I dont get Stimpy. I took him out of his breeding run and putt him into a cage with the dust bath house and he justs sits in it. It's really fustrating me! When I got him from Sheila Musser, he was all powerderd up if you know what I mean. Now's he not.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Phil didn't know how to take a dustbath when I got him. So, I got a large fishbowl and put him in it. Then I sprinkled dust on him and rubbed it in...It took about 4 or 5 times before he got it and now spends a good 20 mins rolling in it when it's dustbath time!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Proud New Mommy

But Whiskers was with someone before me and she didn't tell me that she had that problem. Im starting to wonder if he is just really uncomfortable in our house or something.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I like the fishbowl idea. I hope whiskers likes that idea. Perhaps the previous owner did not give dust baths, or used sand instead?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Rocheal, Aston wouldn't bathe for the first week he was here. If someone other than me is in the room, he still won't. Modest chinnie.

Stephanie

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Proud New Mommy

See. We figured he was shy.... so we all left the room and came back and he STILL wasn't sparkly anywhere other than where I threw the dust on him myself. Im really affraid. He's lost 15 grams and I don't know what to do. I put some Calf Mana in his food and he ate that right up, thankfully. Im going to weigh him again today when I get home... Hopefully his food dish will be empty and his hay will be gone... We took out his tube to give him nothing to do but eat. (He used to just stay in there)

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

No Stimpy's previous owner Sheila Musser devenitly gave him baths and I'm sure that he took them too. She uses fine dust and I even got some from her. She takes great care of all her chins. I have tried putt the dust and rubbing it in him.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might want to give him a probiotic, Rocheal. GNC cells Acidophilus/Lactobacillius in a papaya flavored liquid. Stress can cause upset to the GI tract and giving him a probiotic could help get him back on track. I give about 1 CC to an adult chin.

Stephanie

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I had the same problem as far as eating with Sam...I got her from Ralph Shoots the same day you got Whiskers from Joann. I gave her alfafa hay cubes that I got from Shoots...so she was used to that particular kind, and also offered loose timothy hay from Oxbow...I took the pellets out and let her have a couple of days with the hay. After the first 2 days, she decided the hay was pretty good and started to eat it. I then reintroduced the pellets and let her take a bath...after her bath, she decided the pellets might be a good idea and started eating those again...I was SO relieved! She is still the most skittish chinnie I have, but she isn't afraid to come up to the front of her cage now. She's in a run I got from Shoots so it was more familiar to her and added one of my chin houses that slips under the run perfectly. I turned it so the hole was NOT facing out the front, but the side instead so there is a good 4 inches sticking out from under the run where she has now decided is her favorite place to nap. I'm glad of that too because before, she would sit, sleep, and pee all in one corner and was staining her coat from the urine she continuely sat in. Now that she decided to sleep on top of her house, she isn't sitting in her pee spot and with regular dusting, it's coming clean again. I hope Whiskers starts eating for you soon, otherwise, contact Joann and see what she suggests.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Ralph also gave me some instructions as to prevent the GI track upset due to stress from moving into a new household...He said for the first week, give 3 raisins a day. second week 2 raisins a day, and 3rd week 1 raisin a day. He said it will aid in digestion and encourage them to eat...after the 3rd week, feed 1 a day or 0 depending on your personal preference when it comes to treats. He said the raisins would help to stop diarreah or relieve constipation, depending on which problem your chin might get from the stress. I've been following that advice and the first day 2 chins had soft poos, and the other 2 were constipated...sure enough, the raisin regimine worked! We are now at 2 raisins a day, but Skye seems to think she needs more! LOL (she hasn't yet learned that the cute face doesn't work on me...I'm a mom!) Sam still won't take a raisin or shredded wheat from my hand, but she will eat them out of the supplement cap. With the multiple raisin regime. I space them out over a 24 hour period. So, last week they got one every 8 hours...this week every 12 hours, next week 1 a day. I know it is a controvercial thing about giving more than 1 treat a day, but this came from one of the biggest ranchers who actually eats chin pellets to be sure they are fresh! LOL I know, kinda crazy, but I think a man who has been raising thousands of chins has some idea of what he's doing. Normally, he doesn't give treats, only on special occasions or in a new chin circumstance.

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

hello wont someone please help me.

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, hay cubes, pet store, shredded wheat, timothy hay