Needing Chin in Ak - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Needing Chin in Ak

If anyone knows of any chins in Alaska who need a new home, im looking for a middle aged (~5yrs and up) chinchilla, male or female, for my male who is 7.
Any info would be great! thanks!
Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 PM

hmm... sorry, Alaska is a tough spot to find chins i might try looking in ADN or on Craigslist.... i have seen a few postings for people needing to get rid of their chins (dont know why they would do that....) Good luck! I got mine from the petstore..... I have heard of a breeder in wasilla or eagle river i think, but i cant find them online.... someone at petco on diamond told me about them...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

yeah. i know of a lady in eagle river who has some, they breed, and she sells them haha. I gave her some aggressive fish one time lol.
the problem is im looking for a older female or male. not a baby. so usually the pet stores dont work. i looked on craigslist and found some, but being im leaving for the summer i would feel bad getting a new chin, introducing it to marlo, then leaving. so... we will see....
and i dont know why they would want to either! so sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Part of the Pack

Why don't you want a kit? Theres a much higher possability of bonding a adult x baby than adult x adult. But you could end up with two cages and two everything either way, so prepare for that.

Don't forget to quarantine. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

There is not a higher possibility of bonding, it's just easier to get a young and an old chinchilla to bond, than it is to get two old chinchillas to bond...

You need to spent a bit more time when introducing two old animals, because they often know exactly who they are... That's not always the case whit young animals...

So when finding an old friend for an old chinchilla, you need to look at the personality of your chinchilla, and then find an other chinchilla whit a personality that would suite the one your own chinnie has...

No problemo at all

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

exactly.

the reason I dont want a young chinchilla is because I want them to be about the same age, so that when Marlo dies, I dont have to find another chinchilla to be friends with my middle aged chinchilla, and the cycle keeps on going. When I had Kassy it was perfect, they were a year apart, i didnt expect her to die so soon. I want a chin who (could) live and die around the same time as marlo, or at least as close as possible... otherwise ill be doing this for years! haha
although a baby chin would be cute! its always nice to find the older ones who need the homes too.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I couldn't imagine dealing with the death of two chins at the same time. I'm still devastated from Optimus.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:50 PM

The imagine dealing whith one dead chinchilla and one depressed chinchilla... I would rather have 2 dead and then get 2 new kits...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm looking to get a new kit in the near future. Do you think its better to get an adult since they're more stable in their health? Can 14 week old chins die pretty quickly?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 PM

An old chinchilla is not more stable in the health than a young chinchilla.
Actually, if you get an old chinchilla, and it's not from a breeder, sometimes they will die a short time after you got the chin, because of some sort of sicknes. Often because of inbreeding...

That's why you should always by from a breeder, unles you know what to look after, ind a chinchilla

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What do I even look for in a breeder? The one I went to last night, I couldn't stand! She had 70 chinchillas in a small barn. They didn't seem happy. I guess I'm just really scared of getting attached to another one.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Find a breeder you like, and then look for healthy animals...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I just got back from a breeder who I really liked. She was extremely knowledgeable and also had prize chinchillas. We found a black velvet and also a white mosaic that we really liked. I'm leaning toward the black velvet. He won't be ready until June which I think is a long enough time to cope with Opti's death. I finally was able to look at picture of him without falling apart today, so I'm making progress!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have a black velvet!! they are freaking cute! although of course everyone thinks their own animal is the cutest haha.
I think a new chinchilla was help fill the chinchilla space missing in your heart, although none can replace Optimus. But hes probably happy that you are going to give another chinchilla a great life like he had! And its a baby! how cute!
you will HAVE to post pictures... I never got to have a baby chin being both mine were practically rescues.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He really was adorable! I know I'll be ready to get another when I can give Optimus a memorial in his room. I have to know in my heart that I'm not rushing into something to just to replace him. Luckily the breeder lives 4 miles away and said we can come over every night to bond with the baby!

Tags
black velvet, pet store, pet stores