New baby! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

New baby!

We a had a baby girl today! From Izzy and Cisco. She weighs 57 dry. She is such a cutie. We're hoping mom is nursing her but mom is a first time mom. But if she isn't hopefully we can get our experienced mom to lactate since she just got done with a litter. Pics soon! She's a standard. poss eb carrier. She will be up for sale in 8 weeks!

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Congrats on your new baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

congrats on the new baby

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congrats Alicyn!!

Stephanie

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:31 PM

Congrats, when will we get to see pics?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

soon soon. We're having a little freak out about whether she getting milk and such. So tomorrow I will take pics. We named her Bunny along with the Easter theme. Mom said she wouldn't be due for another few weeks but I saw she was open and losing weight and I said in the next couple days (as of wed.) and i was right!

Now we're wondering if we're going to have more babies tomorrow. Chloe is laying around ALOT and hasn't gained as much as she usually does...

Mom was laughing how we saw a bunch of shooting stars last night and now a baby!

Alicyn

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Congrats on the new baby

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

congratulations!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Thanks, pictures may have to wait longer. Baby is trying to nurse and mom is letting her but Mom must not be lactating. We tried introducing her to our mom that just weaned her baby to see if she would have a false pregnancy but, no, the mom was getting aggressive.

So now we're handfeeding her every two hours. How much should she take after a few feedings? Also, how much dyne do you put in? We unfortunately can't get dyne today but we will get it tomorrow. Right now we're giving her diluted evaporated goats milk with a pinch or baby rice cereal.
Also, when will we have to start weaning her to solid food? I didn't pay much attention to when our previous kit started eating solid food. He was with an experienced mom and I just made sure he was gaining.

I am hoping and praying that one of our other girls will have her litter soon. Then we will try our hardest to introduce this little girl to her. I don't know how long my mom can get away with sneaking a kit into her work. Now I'm wondering if any of my teachers would do it for me...I know if it was a puppy my chem teacher would but i dunno what my teachers would think about handfeeding a chinchilla.

Alicyn

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 09:16 AM

Alicyn it is not unusual for mom not to have milk the first day or so. The baby will lose a few grams overnight and then should start gaining.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would give mom some more time. Make sure she's drinking a good amount. The more baby suckles, the sooner her milk will drop. You can put a bottle of cranberry or apple juice diluted 50/50 with water on her cage, in addition to her water bottle. This can encourage her to drink.

Stephanie

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

We have given her 50/50 apple juice and she is now starting to drink it. Hopefully since she drank quite a bit of water last night she may get milk in *crosses fingers*
I think we will give her a little milk until we see her gaining. She hasn't lost anymore so that's good.

Alicyn

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Pokey, if you give the baby milk she may not suckle like she should and mom may have a more difficult time getting her milk in. I would let nature take its course for at least another day. I sounds like the baby is doing very well and 57 grams is a good weight. I know it is difficult to do nothing but sometimes it is the best thing to do.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Proud New Mommy

Congrats on the baby, I can't wait for pics!

Since it's mom's first litter, that may be another reason to leave the kit in there. She may need some time to adjust to having a baby and nursing it. Im sure her suckling will trigger something. As long as you watch the kit's weight- everything should turn out fine.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Part of the Pack

Wink

on the new babies. I just LOVE babies. . Hope they are doing okay.

DEBBIE