New Baby Crisis!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New Baby Crisis!!!

Well, the 3 males we had together are not 3 males! I feel so stupid. We have had 3 males together for 2 years now and today one had a baby. Sure surprised me! Well now that there are 2 males and 1 female apparently, can I keep all of them together? The new baby was born sometime today, and is sweet and healthy. I separated mom and baby into another cage. Mom is a little distressed and calling to the other males. Can the 3 of them stay together? We have been watching the 4 of them and they are all acting very normally, but I am unsure about the males with the baby. I have no way of knowing who the father is. Please advise!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Are you sure both other chins are males? You might want to double check them. I would not keep 2 males with a female as the males may end up fighting over her. I also would not keep the males together with mom and baby as she will get pregnant again. Is the baby male or female? How much does it weigh? You need a postal gram scale to keep track of the baby's weight to make sure it's gaining. If it's not and you don't catch it in time, you may lose it. I suggest doing a crash course on breeding. Check out www.crosscreekchins.animaldreamz.com and go to Breeding 101. Read through it so you know what you are up against and what to look for. Let us know how things progress and congratulations on your surprise!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Okay, take all of them out and really make sure you have two males and one female. I have a very hard time believing that, as two males will usually fight over one female. The difference is that there will be a space between the urethral cone and the anus for a male, no space for a female.
Here is an example:
http://members.aol.com/sirchin/chinsex.htm

If you don't want more babies, it's best to just separate them. Mom is able to get pregnant right after delivery, which can be hard on her to be nursing and pregnant at the same time. Chinchilla males are good daddies, but breedback is a concern. If you weren't prepared for babies, I'd not put them back together.

Make sure the cage you have the baby and mom in has wire small enough to keep the baby inside. Bigger than 1" x 1/2" and a newborn baby can squeeze through and escape or get stuck. Give mom plenty of food/water and peace and quiet. Ensure she's eating/pooping and the baby is nursing. You'll need to pick up a scale (available at wal-mart or any office supply store) and weigh the baby daily to make sure it's gaining.

Here is a great article on breeding, with some more detail:
Breeding 101

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mandie ... that's rather scary, we posted darn near the same thing. I had a client come in and stop me midway through so I didn't see your reply til mine posted!

Stephanie

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

That diagram was wonderful! I thought the urethral cone was a penis apparently could have another pregnant chin. Strange thing is the dad is not anatomically that different from the females. Fortunately all is well. What is a reasonable rate of gain for a newborn?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Usually two grams a day or so. They may drop the first day or two, so don't be surprised.

Stephanie

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

congrates on your new surprise addition keep them all separted due to the fact that you don't want another surprise.

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Now that I know about the urethral cone I have straightened out the mess! The baby is doing very well, weighing 50.2 grams the day after it was born, and gained between 20-4 g a day for several days. Once he had tripled his birth weight we stopped weighing him every day, so he made great progress. He appears to be a charcoal.

I apparently have 3 males and 1 female now. Has anyone neutered or spayed chins? I was hoping for another female so I could keep two of each together. I think momma will be sad alone. Any advice out there?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Make sure the cage bars are small enough. I had a chin that had a baby, and I kept them in a marchioro cage hoping that the bars would be okay. There were a few days that I spent an hour or so trying to track down the baby!! Chin babies are so cute

*Missy*
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

i had my first chinchilla neutered its hard finding a vet that will do it i only did it cause it was from a humane shelter that everything leaves spayed and neutered its a really good policy if you ask me

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 01:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...congRATS on the baby!How is he doing?Do you have a picture of him?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
cage bars, males together