New born has a bad booboo Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

New born has a bad booboo Help!

I had two litters this morning and I was fortunate to witness all three that My Trinket had. The last baby as she was pulling her out pulled above her eye and caused the lid to tear. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can repare this to help so the baby can blink and keep it's eye moist. I'm open for ideas.
I will have to pull the baby from mom and hand raise it if I can't figure something out. I would rather mom feed the baby since this is better for her.
I know this is a weird question but vets aren't always able to help and I don't want her to loose her eye.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might ask a local vet about some anesthesia eye lubricant to keep the eye moist and see if a stitch would be indicated for the tear in the lid. In the meantime, I'd put some artificial tears or straight saline into her eye as often as you can. (Don't use visine or anything to 'get the red out' - just artificial tears.) The tears/saline will help to keep the wound flushed out and hopefully prevent infection too.

Stephanie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Steph
I wanted her to get a stitch but my vet isn't available and no one will care for exotics by me. I'll use the saline and I have ointment for the eyes. If I pull the baby I'm buttterflying the eyelid. If I do this and leave her with mom then mom will pull off the bandage, typical behavior to keep the kits clean. I love handraising but I avoid it if possible. They grow so much nicer and plumper when mom does it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Playful Pup

Hi Debbie,
Hey look, I joined!
I'm sorry to hear about your little one. You know I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to send you some good luck vibes! **good luck**
~Nellie
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The babys eye is lookin much better. I think it will heal up close to normal. I'm going to keep fussing with it to be sure.

HELLO AND WELCOME NELLIE!!!!!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Proud New Mommy

Im glad it's looking better! I hope it continues to heal well...

Welcome Nellie!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I do hope the baby gets better