New Chin Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

About three weeks ago i bought a female chinchilla who is now named Lex. I did some research before hand to prepare myself and so far she has been extremely easy to handle compared to my more troublesome animals. The only thing that has shocked me is the fact that at random moments in time she starts making a sort of weezing sound. I looked on the internet but could not find a direct answer to the problem, so can anyone tell me why she's doing that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 PM

She may be doing the warning call. Here is a link to recordings of sounds that chinchillas make. The Sounds Made by the Chinchillas If one of those sounds isn't what she is doing, then you should probably take her to the vet to rule out any sort of respiratory problem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:21 PM

^^^ I agree.
Try not to handle her too much (not related to your problem no)
I know it's hard not to do,they are so soft & furry& cuddly
They aren't too hard to care for,you'll really enjoy having her as a pet.
& In the future you might consider getting a 2nd.
They are social critters
You'll also be amazed at the different noises they make
If the sound being made isnt on the link above& you have a feeling it's not "normal" go with your hunch.
When in doubt...check it out
Keep us updated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Lex was just making the warning sound, but i guess i just found it weird becuase she would do it when nothing was going on.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:30 PM

perhaps you could try to record her??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Playful Pup

mine make noises when they are sleeping, i think they are dreaming.. not sure how to describe it, kinda like a squeek sound.

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
Shadow, Thor, Sandy, Pandora and Isis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 AM

My chinnies make warning noises while they sleep as well
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Will It Ever Change?

best wishes! give her time, all will be well

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 01:14 PM

My Hailey did that a lot when I got her...like the page says they get very worried and scared from sounds that get made in the distances. Hailey would do that when she slept a lot. Then after a year and a half of having her she started making that noise when she wanted attention. How old is your new chin? If its under 6 months I would highly recommend spending a few hours a day holding and playing with him/her. If he.she is over a year you need to calmly go into it... I did this with my chins but Hailey was too old when I got her and needed to build the trust, Henry was a baby and he needed to be played with to have people interaction...now they both have a grand ol time!!! Enjoy chins are atrip!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Proud New Mommy

Chins are very social animals but can be kept alone just fine! My chinchilla actually preferred me to being housed with another chin. She was very moody and would even spray people that walked by her cage if she didn't know them. She may be telling you that she wants some attention! I would definitly give her some company.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:07 PM

I would love to have one, but I honestly don't have enough time to take care of them properly. Cats are just so much easier for me to take care of.

~K ^..^

Tags
social animals