New Chinchilla Fan - holding a chinchilla? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 07:10 PM
cltyler1

New Chinchilla Fan - holding a chinchilla?

finally figured out how to log on to this website, so thought I would say hi! I, and my 15 yo daughter, am the proud owner of a 3 month old standard male, named Chiclet, which we purchased from Christi. He is the most adorable little creature, and we are so entertained by his antics. We have had him for about 3 or 4 weeks, and he is very hand tame...likes to eat from our hands, likes to be scratched, and will jump on our palms. My question is..when will he let me pick him up (and like it)? I have tried a couple times to pick him up but he seems quite upset about it. So I back off, not wanting to stress him. Maybe I am not doing it right. Any suggestions from you pros?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Fertile Myrtle

As a rule most chins don't like to be held - especially not tightly. Let him crawl into your hands and then move your hands to your chest and let him crawl on your shoulders. But they're not like rabbits or dogs, they don't really like to be held and "loved on."

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:40 AM
cltyler1

Yes I guess I knew they don't like to be encircled by your hands. I was afraid he would jump off and get hurt if I just lifted my open hands up to my chest. My book says to hold on to the tail when you pick them up. Does anyone really do this? What if he tries to jump while you're holding the tail?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Fertile Myrtle

What book? DO NOT EVER HOLD A CHINCHILLA BY THE TAIL!! EVER!! LOL You could easily break it and that's the fastest way to lose ALL the trust you've worked so hard establish. Grrr, stupid book...

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 12:59 PM
cltyler1

I didn't think that sounded right!! I guess they meant to hold him in your palm, and keep the tail secure in case he jumps. It's a Barrons Chinchillas book. It does emphasize to not pick him up by the tail, but to hold him in your palm, while holding the tail in case he jumps. Well, I'll keep winning Chiclet's trust, and try lifting him to my chest as soon as I can.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The book probably wasn't clear. A lot of the large breeders don't socialize their chins to earn their trust, and so pull them out of their cages by the BASE of their tails, close to their bodies. This can easily frighten your chinchilla, although it isn't likely to harm them as long as their body weight is immediately supported. The harm can come from picking a chin up solely by the tip of the tail and letting it dangle without supporting its body.

I don't recommend doing this, because as Christi said, you can lose whatever trust you've earned from your chin and can injure it if you don't do it properly.

Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:31 PM
Chinta0

I have never help my chinnies tail. I have people tell me to hold their tails, but I just can't. I'm to afraid of it coming off. I don't want to hurt them. I let them jump on my hands and then I hold them close to me. I had one jump once, but he never got hurt as I was sitting on the floor, but I was told they can jump pretty high. My one chin Rocky can jump over the playpen I bought them with no problems. They also can jump on my table. Funny little tikes.
Cheryl

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Newborn Pup

i know this is an old post, and i just want to renew it so i can ask this question, that coaralates,

my chins.... (i have had them for two weeks, there abouts) and they really dont like me.... they run away and bark at me (its cute,... but still) how can i make it so they wont hate me, i want them to like me.... enough to enter the room with out the llittle babes freaking out......

thank you
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Playful Pup

run a radio in the background so they get used to different noises, start it at a medium level and minimize the sound slowly and just run it quietly after a few weeks, they will not jump as much if you keep some sound going, they are animals of prey and will be scared when the house is too quiet so technically is scares them because silence in the wild means predators are near, they think that way and that is what will happen, they will get used to the sounds but it is good to have something soothing to help drown it out while they are still in shock from the changes in their lives 8)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofthemoon View Post
run a radio in the background so they get used to different noises, start it at a medium level and minimize the sound slowly and just run it quietly after a few weeks, they will not jump as much if you keep some sound going, they are animals of prey and will be scared when the house is too quiet so technically is scares them because silence in the wild means predators are near, they think that way and that is what will happen, they will get used to the sounds but it is good to have something soothing to help drown it out while they are still in shock from the changes in their lives 8)
thanks alot for this tip i got two new chins a month ago and couldnt figure out why they where always so jumpy when i first came in their room