New Chinchilla Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

New Chinchilla Owner

HI,
I just recieved a new chinchilla for my birthday and I was hoping that some people could give me some advise...I have done some research before hand but I am afraid Im going to do something wrong...so if anyone can offer some advice?
Thanks,
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

The best advice I can think of is to read through everyone elses experiances. Every chin is different, but that will give you some good ideas on what to expect and how to react

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.
He just really scared of me right now and I want to play with him and I dont know if I should be handling him or whether I should let him be for a while... I guess I'll just have to learn on my own
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Carrie, I have several articles on my site dealing with bonding, etc. if you're interested.
http://www.chinnitude.com

Stephanie

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

What Jade wrote is excellent.

You should honestly leave him be for about five to seven days, because being moved from one environment to the next is very stressful! Just be sure to give him fresh pellets, hay and water daily. Bedding should be changed about one to two times a week, depending on how soiled it does indeed become. After the adjustment period, slowly introduce yourself to the chin. That way he can get use to your scent.

Dustbaths should be one to two times a week, more during the humid months.

Chins love treats! But give in moderation, too many can cause obesity and illness in chinchillas.

And most of all, give him plenty of love! Chins are very social creatures and one of my furry babies gives me kisses on my mouth. We are very bonded.

Enjoy your new baby! And pictures are a must!

Karen

[

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Congrats on your new baby! I will not retype what is already here, so I will just say ENJOY!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

great advice given.. all i can add is during the days you allow your chin to adjust to the new environment I would take the time to stand by the cage and talk to him or her. Your voice can become a very soothing sound to your new baby.

I don't leave my chins but for just a day or two before i start trying to interact with them. By sitting my hand in their cage and letting them come to me, sniff me etc.

Congrats on your new baby.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Proud New Mommy

Congrats on your new addition! I had a chinchilla once.. She was my first one. One night I was really distraught and I just wanted to pet and cuddle her... When I went up to the cage, I was going to let her climb onto my shoulder--- she put her little face up to mine and started kissing my tears.

I love chinchillas. They are such sweet and.... perfect.... animals! You really have to cherish every moment you have with them.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau