New ChinChilla Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

New ChinChilla Owner

I am a new chinchilla owner as of tonight. Someone was needing to give them away and i said i would take them. They come with an okay cage but at some point we will be getting a new cage that is alot better. They only know that they are siblings(though they didn't know the sexes of them) which when they calm down and are a bit nicer we will check. They don't even really know the ages(they guessed from 3-6 months of age) is there anything i really need to know about them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

There cute. But im not sure there suppose to have there dust bath in there cage at all times ? someone with chinchillas please correct me if im wrong.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks. We just put it in there so they could roll around for a quick bath and then took it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yes keep their dust baths out of the cage for free run times. Chinchillas need VERY specific diets and temperatures are also very important (they can over heat easily)

theres tons of things u need to know about chinchillas. the best thing to do is to take some time and look through the chinchillas forum here and read all u can. (there's too much to type)

good luck with ur chins ..and be patient with them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Playful Pup

New Chinchillas

By The Way I Am The One That Dropped Off The Chinchillas And I Told You That I Did Not Look To See The Sex Of Them ,they Were At My Sisters Not My House I Did Not Tell You That I Couldnt Tell You What Sex They Were ,i Also Told You How To Care For Them .dont Go Running Around Acting Like All I Did Was Drop And Run ...
If You Did Not Know What You Were Getting Into Then Why Post And Say You Were Looking For Small Animals Rather Then Talking About What You Dont Know Why Not Email Me Or Call And Say What Else Do I Need To Know
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I feel a bit creeped out. The person's sister who was getting rid of the chinchillas who dropped them off yesterday. I tried to tell her that they were sexed as a male and a female. I tried also to tell her that the one didn't have a yucky eye(she told me and my husband yesterday that one did) but i guess now we told her that one had a yucky eye. I joined another chin forum and she found what i said to try and get me to fess up that i was the one who told them she had a yucky eye.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

You barely told me how to take care of them. Fine well maybe you should have sexed them and then maybe you people would have been smarter not to put a male and female together. It doesn't take common sense to check what the sexes they are. Because you could barely tell me anything about them. I want people that actually know about chinchilla's to tell me what i need as i know that the cage they are in is complete crap and for the fact that the female could be pregnant is stupid. If you and your sister had so many pets you should have known better to look at the sex of them and not just stick them in a cage so they can inbreed. Yes that is very smart.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Playful Pup

Chins

Dont Shoot The Delivery Driver I Simply Dropped Them Off For You .siblings Are Housed Together More Then You Know Sweety Even At Pet Stores .no I Am Not Saing It Is Right But When The Original Owner Said Find Them A Home For Me I Did So And You Wanted Them .dont Make Me Out To Be The Bad Guy Here As All I Did Was Pick Them Up And Drop Them Off And Gave You A Cage To Temp House Them In As You Did Not Have One
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
chinchilla breeder

Male and females need to be separated at 8 weeks they can and will get pregnant. What happens at a pet store does not make it right. If you knew the sex or knew how to sex you should have separated.

I would check now and separate immediatly if they are opposite sex

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Playful Pup

Angry chinchillas

The chinchillas were not sexed by me If i had actually owned them i could have looked at them but since they were owned by my sister I simply picked them up and dropped them off she asked me what sex they were and I said i didnt know simply because i just had them in my possesion for half an hour and did not look at them .My sister would not have known how to sex them nor did she ask me to look at them.I feel like this is an attack on me and all i was doing was transporting them as a favour for someone .I DID NOT OWN THESE CHINCHILLAS I WAS SIMPLY TRANSPORTING THEM ...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
chinchilla breeder

what it comes down to is morally you should have sexed the chinchillas for her. I know you just transported them but when I transport animals for people if they didn't know how to sex two babies, I would have taken the 3 seconds to sex them. When she asked what sex they were perhaps you should have offered.....

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

They are currently seperated but still close to each other so they don't get lonely. I am actually looking for the FN 142 or 143 as apparently that is the best cage for them. Also i am looking for a new diet for them as the stuff they had them on is apparently crappy and they should only have pellets.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Part of the Pack

From reading the original post again, VictoriaB never really accused the original person of anything except not knowing the sex of the animals. I think carebears1 just needs to take a breather. If they werent in a good cage, as a "transporter" thats not your fault. I think its ALWAYS a good thing for people to want more information on how to properly care for their chinchillas, they arent a "easy" pet. I would recommend looking at the first few posts about chinchilla care on the chinchilla forum page. They go over the basics and will give better overall than we can do in a post but if you are confused at anything feel free to ask! I have had chinchillas 10 years now and there are many more who have had much more experience here! They do look pretty young have fun with them and let them out a lot to burn off that energy as well as socialize with you! Babies are SO MUCH FUN! But they grow up super fast haha.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Part of the Pack

Also, if you do have a male and female, what are you planning on doing with them? fixing one and keeping them together? getting two cages and getting a friend for each? keeping only one?

I have the ferret nation cages. If you do get those, make sure you remove those plastic shelves (they will eat them) and replace them with kiln dried Pine! And make sure there is nothing on the wood when you get it. Heres a link to pictures of my chinchillas cages...

http://nik8806.smugmug.com/gallery/1...49717459_tCAox
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

It was the not sexing of the two of them and that she told me the female had a yucky eye when i saw that she didn't i tried to tell her that she didn't have a yucky eye and she freaked out saying i was the one who told her that. I also don't appreciate getting harassed because i didn't ask her about the chinchilla care(sorry but i would rather get chinchilla care information from people who have had them for many years as they are more informative) We have been letting them out and getting used to us and giving them the occasional treat(we have given them cheerios and they just love them) Someone on another forum said they could be 4 months of age.

Tags
chins, owner