New chinchilla owner and i need HELP NOW!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

New chinchilla owner and i need HELP NOW!!

So my grandma had 2 chinchillas (believed to be girls) and she got too told to take care of them and asked me to take them.
When handling them i discovered one is indeed male, and the other is not only female but deffinetly pregnent.(big stomach, long nipples the whole 9 yards)
Is there any supliments i should give her wile shes is pregnent?
Also im ordering a second cage tuesday when i get paid and having it over night delivered so mommy cant get knocked up again by daddy when she gives birth. If i could get a suggestion on which cage is better that would be much appreciated if i dont hear by tuesday afternoon im ordering the one from petco i think.

cage 1 petco WARE 2 Level Clean Living Small Animal Cage
cage 2 petsmart All Living Things® Deluxe Chinchilla Kit
please look them up and tell me what you think.
i already have the cage my grandmother had them in, plenty of food and hay as well as rasins for the ocational treat and bedding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I hope someone can help you i personally have no experience with chinchillas, but i would like to say congrads on becoming a new chinchilla owner.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you, i really hope someone can help as well. Im so nervous i have a apointment to bring the female into the vets wednesday to see how shes doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

not sure if this will help you i found it online
Gestation Period - 111 days
Litter size - 1 TO 5, 2 average - young precocious and active
Weaning 6 to 8 weeks - but can stay with mum until 10 weeks maximum. A chinchilla rescuer has received chins that have conceived at the very young age of 10 weeks this is the equivalent to an 8 year old child conceiving ! In the UK kits are not usually re homed until they are at least 12 weeks old.
Puberty - can be as young as 10 weeks. This is important and means that kits must be weaned from their opposite sex parent/siblings by 10 weeks at the latest, likewise female kits should not be housed with opposite sex partners until they are mature enough to bear kits (usually from 8 months but depends on each chins weight/maturity).
Adult Weight - 600 grams. This is an average figure, weights can vary widely my chins range from 475g to over 800g!

i also found this link http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/chinc...chillahome.htm

hope it helps

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

that does help thank you =( guess i need to go buy a scale to weigh the babie(s)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 AM
canis lupus familiaris

I'd get neither cage and heres why.

The first one is big enough for one chin...but honestly I found plastic and chins don't mix. My last male ATE an entire floor. So I'd avoid any and all plastic.

Second, remember you're going to be having a lot more chins than ever. I'd actually look at ferret cages. Ferret cages tend to be good for everything. Just look for an all metal one. If ordering online, here is an awesome manufacturer. Best thing about this place is they aren't afraid to say "hey you might wanna get this cage or that cage." Not so into making money as they are in making quality products for the proper animal.

http://www.martinscages.com/
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

wow thouse are exactly like the ones on a site my friend gave me only a **** of alot cheaper! thanks im taking a look now =o
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

the only thing i cant tell is if they are open floored or have a floor over the shaving =( the cage my friend has is open floored and and the chinchillas rolled around in the shavings and threw them out of the cage when i put them in it to clear the one they currently live in together.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
It's all for them

Hello and welcome, how good of you to rescue your grandma's chinchillas. It must help ease her mind to know her babies are being taken care of.

I notice in the info Nibbler gave you that the babies can begin mating as early as 10 weeks so you are going to need more cages I think, until you find them homes.

I hope you will stick around and share your experiences with us, and your knowledge as you learn. This forum could use a resident Chinchilla expert, that could be you!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Grammy was thrilled when i told her one of the chinchillas was pregnent today lol she was very surprised lucy was really a boy (im calling him loki for now lol)
Yeah a friend of mine owns degus and has alot of cages from when she had more of them so shes letting be borrow one of the cages she had extra.
its a multi level drop in style cage with nice wide ramps. i rigged up a towel so that isis wont get pee all over the place lol. for how shes got a hay ball (its not he best holder in the world but im getting a new one from petco tomorrow) i took the wheel out she had for the degus cuz i wasnt sure if it was safe for chinchillas or not where its mesh with a bar through the middle to hold it up.
where im borrowing a cage im holding off on actualy buying another till after the baby(s) are born so i know what im dealing with. plus gives me time to save up for a better one i think.
also got a call from the vet today asking to re schedual me for next monday =( i hope she doesnt give birth between now and then i wanted to talk to the vet before she does.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Playful Pup

I don't think either cage is the way to go. I agree with the person above...avoid as much plastic as possible. They chew and it is not good for them to ingest it. I would also look for something bigger if possible because chins love to jump and need room to play.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Nipper
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

im looking into getting a cage similer to the one i have isis in, =o this one was designed for degus or large rats but its got alot of room for her but not enough that if she fell she could hurt the baby(s) or herself
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

so i need to find a new vet =( he was totaly un helpful when i brought in isis this week. he said she probably has another month or so before the baby(s) are born and when he picked her up she started freaking out. safe to say im not going back tehre again.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Newborn Pup

Mom and kits need to be in a small cage, no larger than 2 feet high, and preferably about 20 inches high. The reason being is that mom may try to hide out high up from the kits when she needs a break if there are multiples. Also, if the kits climb high, they may fall and die. Or the mom could fall and land on a kit-same result. You also need to stop handling Mommy. You could wind up injuring a kit. She should stay confined to a small cage, it just keeps everyone safer.

You can put calf manna in her food so that she will produce more milk, and keep with it until you wean the kits. I would suggest that you only get one small cage for now, and then wait until the babies are born to see how many females and males you'll have. You can comfortably fit 2 in each half of a Ferret Nation or a Feisty Ferret.

I will warn you. Mom and daughters tend to get along fine and dandy. Father and son generally get along for a while but then it turns. Sometimes they're fine. Othertimes not. Males are harder to keep bonded and can sometimes be bonded for years and then suddenly split.

I hope I've helped! Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Smile Chinchilla

Good luck on being a new chinchilla parent. Do you know what pure going to do with the babies after they're weened because I you are interested in selling them I have been looking for a chinchilla but don't wanna get one from a pet store because I don't like how they're treated there. If you are going to sell them please let me know

Tags
advice, chinchilla, pregnent