New Chinchilla owner! Need some advice on feed/treats and toys! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile New Chinchilla owner! Need some advice on feed/treats and toys!

Good morning everyone!
I just purchased a female chin a couple weeks ago from a Pets Unlimited [after several failed attempts to try and take/adopt from kijiji] and I just have a couple questions in relation to feed/treats and food.

At this moment, I have Meatball [yes, that's her name ] on a standard pellet feed, not sure what the brand is as well as lots of fresh Timothy Hay and some timothy cubes, loofah treats and apple tree sticks.

She does get the occasional poop with these weird little bubbles in them? like mucus bubbles, but they weren't getting the best feed at the pet store, so I've been giving her some mini shredded wheat to try and get things regulated as well as some old fashion oats to try and have her bond with me. As well as 1 raisin or 1 of the little colored nuggets in her feed [I sorted all the treats out of her feed to make sure her poops get back to normal]

As far as toys, I just have some tubes/little cubby holes and boxes with holes in them and let her loose in the bathroom to play with me for 1-2 hours a night.

Now, I'm wondering what's the best feed for my lil' Meatball? what are the best treats? I see all these neon-colored treats and I'm wondering how healthy is it to have these nuclear looking sticks?

I wanted to make a purchase from Flower Town chinchillas and just NEED to know what's the best for my little one.

Also. is there a water bottle brand that doesn't leak? I've purchased 2 glass ones and they both leak. She's getting more and more active and tossing things off her shelves, so I need some ideas of which bottle brand is best.

Sorry for all the questions

Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

a purchase from flowertown chinchillas is a great idea. Ive purchased items from there and also had personal contact with dave and karen hitchcock (owners)
Oxbow feed is great and mauzuri (sp?) is one of the best. My chin loves dried red clover blossoms,, hard to find but can be ordered on internet from moutainrose herb (best herbs)
Flowertown chinchillas also has a contact email so they would be the best to ask for advice..they are also a rescue for chinchillas and foster them until they find a great forever home for the chins.

good luck and enjoy yr new addition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Playful Pup

if the cage gets shaken the bottles always gonna leak. i use regular plastic ones wash them every week so they dont get slimy.

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Newborn Pup

Oxbow feed is wonderful, my 2 chins love it and it is made just for them, not like some other pellets that are made for chins and rabbits and hampsters. Keep them on an all pellet diet for they're main food, otherwise if you get mixed stuff they tend to pick around the pellets for the yummy treats instead. When you give her a raisen, don't put it in her food, give it right to her so she sees that your giving her something yummy, it'll help you bond. As far as bottles, stay with glass, with plastic you risk her chewing on the plastic and getting real sick from it, they're all gonna leak. For toys, we have lots of chew toys from the local pet store, I also made them both they're own house out of cardboard box, they love sleeping in it cause they feel safe being able to hide. You can throw in old papertowel rolls, our you gest one loves those lol. We have a little ferret hammock hanging that
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Newborn Pup

It send by accident haha, a ferret hammock that he loves to jump in and take little naps. And th other one a big fleese tube he runs in and out of all the time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

for treats my chins love Apple Pomace Chunks.
for food I get Riedstra Chinchilla Pellets Fresh Milled cause its fresher than some of the other stuff.
As for a water bottle Edstrom Water Buddy don't leak unless broken.

the neon-colored treats are mostly junk.
Good treats are:
-Rose Hips
-Apple Pomace
-hay cubes
-Choya (Cholla) Logs
- Willow Balls
-Grape Vine Wreaths
-Rolled Oats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Part of the Pack

My 4 chinchillas eat ONLY Mazuri chinchilla food and Fresh Timothy Hay and the occasional Orchard grass or Brome hay.
For treats, i feed all organic natural treats. I will NOT buy "treats" from a pet store. Only chew toys.
Raisins
Rose Hips
Dried Apple
Shredded Wheat (Only ingredient: Wheat)
Dried Papaya (Make SURE it is ONLY Papaya, with no sugars)
Thats about it. They are all very healthy animals and one it about 10 years old!
I couldnt be happier with this diet
Have fun with your little one! Its good that you are trying to start her off healthy while still young!

Tags
new chin feed treats toys