New Chinchilla with possible neurological problems??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

New Chinchilla with possible neurological problems???

I went up to san marcos on sunday and picked up my new brown velvet. the girl that i got him from said that she held him alot and he was really friendly. well when i got him home and got him settled in, i went in there to try to weigh him. he freaked out. jumped all around his cage and stuff. when i finally got him out he was shaking tremendously, then shortly later he was fine. he would then let me hold him as long as i held him very close to my body. if i try to pull him away to look at him, he starts to freak out again. the day that i got him he was on the road for a total of about 2-2 1/2 hours. is it possible that he just needs some extra time to adjust to me? his fur is also in really bad shape, with mats and such. i tried to get them out, but when i do, he squeaks and "spits" at me. the other chin that i got awile back (i posted about him because he had the same problem) is now fine, i guess taking dust baths made it better.

here are some pics of him

any suggestions as to what i can do to curb this behavior, or to ease him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyrus (2).jpg (24.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Cyrus (1).jpg (55.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Cyrus.jpg (57.3 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Follow your own advice Just give him some time.
If he has a lot os problems with mats, you should think about getting some one to help you out. Just hold him, and cut them off.
He will hate it, but the mats may be a part of the season as to why he freaks when you hold him.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Even though the girl you got him from said he was really friendly you must gain his trust. Gaining trust takes time.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Playful Pup

my chin felt very vulnerable at the beginning and she barked for awhile off and on...play soft music in the room she's in for awhile so it's not completely quiet...the quiet scares prey animals...give her time to adjust...eventually my chin did...once she got out for a few minutes and ran into my closet(which is right next to my cage) and she ran behind the big rubbermaid boxes...i stuck one hand under her and brought her out with that one hand! that's when i knew that she was mine forever 8) you will get there 8)