New to Chinchilla's - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Post New to Chinchilla's

I am curious about Chinchilla's. I have two guinea pigs and it seems as if everything i have for them is the same for the chinchilla's. Is caring for a Chinchilla basically the same as caring for a guinea pig for them i need to keep alfalfa hay in the house and i keep the timothy hay here, there pelleted food, the salt lick, the pine bedding, i keep nutri-cal on hand for my ferrets, and dried fruit bits for my sugar gliders for some reason it seems like they would fit in an it wouldn't be an extra expense. I also have a 4 story superpet ferret cage and another ferret cage that is wire that measures 30 w x 30 L x 24 h would that work for the chinchilla it has 2 openings and it has 2 floors and then a little shelf area ?

And would they learn to get along with cats and dogs and ferrets and sugar gliders if they are all raised together. Right now only the cats sleep with me but i have one cat that likes to climb. she tries to get out my screen door. My gliders and ferrets get along as long as they are in there cages but would never have so many animals out at one time. they would all come out in shifts. Would that work..

One of my teachers had a chinchilla as a pet in the early 90's and always though they were cool. And if chinchilla's are listed as exotic pets don't u need a USDA license to sell them like u do for sugar gliders ? That would seem strange but ferrets are exotic or becoming a more domestic pet so they don't need one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Not quite the same. I won't use salt licks and prefer timothy hay only for non-breeding chinchillas. I prefer taller cages rather than wide and don't care for the super pet ones, mostly because of the wide wire spacing and plastic shelves. Chinchillas chew and plastic ingestion can be deadly. They do need different food than guinea pigs as well, though the overall diet is similar. I also prefer to avoid sugary foods (fruits) except as an occasional treat. Mine get shredded wheat most often, an alfalfa ring once in a while, and a raisin or papaya usually only for photos.

I don't care to introduce natural predators to natural prey animals (i.e. dogs to chins) unless I am there to supervise and know the animals' personalities VERY well. There was an instance not long ago where someone's 3 dogs got out and killed 12 of her chinchillas - I'd take lots of precautions, including a smaller wire spacing on cages than used in the superpet cages.

You do not need to be USDA licensed, chinchillas are actually considered 'domesticated' due to the pelt industry.

As you can see I have set opinions based on my own experience and that of others. All that aside, I absolutely love having my chins and wouldn't trade them for the world. Do lots of research and see if they are a pet for you. I have some basic care on my site if you care to read: http://www.chinnitude.com

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

none of my animals get out of cage time unless i am with them. and where i am moving i am planning on making the den my animal room so it will be animal friendly room. and at night my dogs are crated so they are no problem. And my cats cant get in there without someone leaving the door open which they can't it has a lock on it so its not easily opened. I only meant feeding requirements were similar i know they need different pellets but they eat the same hay. I would die if one of my animals ate another. My ferrets have run around my house without anyone bothering them. And having puppy;s its easier to change there mind over what is right and wrong. They don't hurt my kittens and don't think they would hurt anyone else but i know to never take chances after my father died I had to put my dog to sleep because she became over aggressive my mom's dog had to have emergency surgery to fix her gum and put stitches in and remove a tooth and then the dog went after my daughter so i understand what you are talking about. she went after my ferrets and me also.. but these pups I have now i don't think would hurt anyone. and my kittens they just want to play and wander the house. I really want to learn more about chinchilla's but not read the same stuff over and over. My guinea pigs get little to eat and live in a super pet cage that was designed for them.. What kind of cages do u think chinchilla's should live in. My only reason for trying to use one of my existing cages is I have them and don't use them. I have spent so much on things and never use them so I try to find a new use for them. I can't think of many solid based cages and I really hate the wired ones unless they are lined like my ferret cage but then u need to remove the lining to clean the cage . Can u or anyone show pics of the kind of cages that they should be in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I prefer melamine cages, myself.

You can see a picture in the last pic posted of one of mine here: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...highlight=cage

Or you can go to http://www.spoiledchins.net and see her cages - I use her design and love it. If you prefer to stick with wire, I'd recommend Martin's Cages.

Stephanie

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

can u use the plastic ferret tunnels for chinchilla's to play with when they are out to play ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

It isn't recommended that you use the plastic tunnels with chinchillas because they can and will chew them. If chins injest plastic it can be fatal. If you are right there and can stop them the second they try to chew it, I guess you could use them, but it isn't recommended. If you want tunnels for them to play in that are safe if chewed, call your local newspaper and ask for some end rolls. You will get clean paper that you can use for the wire cages and the cardboard tubes it is rolled on are really thick and fun for chins to chew, hide and shred. I use them in several of my cages and the cins like to get inside them and chew them from the inside out as they roll around! They love them and are safe. That's what I and many other breeders would recommend for what you want and they are cheap! It's a win-win situation!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Tags
alfalfa hay, dried fruit, exotic pets, guinea pig, pine bedding, shredded wheat, sugar glider, sugar gliders, timothy hay, wire cage, wire cages