new to chinchillas need help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
HCTRMLDD-L

new to chinchillas need help!

Hello everyone. I just got a new chinchilla july 24th this year. She was born may 5th of this year. Shes very young. When I first got her she was friendly and would come to me. Now she seems very angry and will not come to me. She makes low grunting sounds everytime I go anywhere near her! I bought her because I wanted an animal who I could hang out with, she doesnt want to do that at all. Its like she doesnt like humans what so ever. I sit at her cage and just talk to her and she acts like im not even there. I have 5 degus who I talk to and they acknowledge me, she doesnt. I really have no idea how their brains work and cant seem to find much information on it all. When I bought her she was on a different kind of food than im giving her now but im slowly putting her to a different kind (still using the kind she was being fed from the breeder) I give her fresh water everyday and fresh hay. Im not sure what to do and my boyfriend has been bitten by her when he was trying to give her food. Someone please help me. I have a lot of questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Adolescent Pup

have u been socializing with her daily? the only reason i could c for her change in demeanor towards humans was if u didn't keep up her socialization with people. it also could be time of day. chins are nocturnal so may be a bit grumpy if ur waking them up mid day to play with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Adolescent Pup

she will need free run time so if u have a room that is safe for her to run free in let her and sit in the middle of the room. Once she is comfortable she will use u like a playground set and climb on u and jump off u Have some of her favourite treats in ur hands so she will come to u when she is ready. The best time to free run her is in the evenings. Our chin was quite a diva and only let us 'touch' her when she wanted to be touched. She might warm up to u eventually or just always be kinda antisocial. Do u have other pets (cats or dogs) she might sense them. she might also smell ur degus and be 'offended' by that. Have u thought of giving her a cage mate (another female)? but becareful if u do..they might not get along either. Chins take there time in new situations so be patient. good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 PM

She could feel threatened, or she could be going through a stage. (She seems a bit young yet for that, though.) Perhaps just let her run around a (chinchilla proofed) room and see if she comes up to you?

My chinchilla Charlie is the same way.(Though she doesn't bite).. she hardly acknowleges me, but when I let her out she loves crawling all over me. Your chin just has to warm up to you, that's all.

Good luck to you and congrats on the new chinny♥

Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.