new girl with fur loss - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

new girl with fur loss

Our new white girl has not been treated well by her previous owners. We just picked her up yesterday from a family that wanted to give her away. We had been looking for a white female for our male,"chinnie" (he is either standard or sapphire maybe someone can tell me?) So when i saw the ad for her in the paper i knew that it was our chance to have our dream chin and also give this little girl the great home that she deserves. She was being kept outside in a hot little building and we noticed right away that she was missing fur along her backside. We took her home and then noticed that she is very chubby, most likely pregnant, but that is okay because we would love another baby or two. Our plan was to house our new female in a seperate but near by cage from our male, and have her spayed then try them together. I guess we will have to wait until the vet appt next week to find out if she really is pregnant and plan from then. Anyways what im really interested in knowing is what could be the cause of this hair loss? I am thinking maybe her cage mate were over enthusiastic when grooming or else just plain mean? I was also thinking that since the fur loss is only at the back maybe she could be bored and picking her own fur out? I just dont know I would also like to know what i can do to help her get her coat back in tip top shape. I dont want to brush her out or anything until i know that it is safe. I did give her a dust bath because she really needed it. Here are some pictures of her, and also a headshot of my baby boy, "chinnie".

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Wow, sounds like her situation was not fun!

It is possible that she was chewed by a cagemate, or that she chewed herself. Stressed chins will do that. If after a while the fur does not grow back, then it is most likely her chewing, or something else.

When you take her to the vet, have them check with a UV light for ringworm, too. If it was a hot building, it's possible it was humid as well --- breeding ground for ringworm and other fungi.

Until you're sure of what has caused the hair loss, you should really quarantine her from your current male. Ringworm can travel as spores through the air, and on skin and clothing.

You do not want to risk your male catching ringworm, or anything else for that matter, from this new girl.

I suggest a minimum 4 week quarantine, and a vet visit as soon as possible.

Congrats on the new addition!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

From the pictures it looks like fur chewing and from the location she may have done it to herself. If she was housed in a warm environment that could be the reason she chewed herself. Some females chew when they are pregnant or it could be stress related. It takes about 3 months for the fur to grow out. After her vet visit comb her fur if it is safe and provide plenty of dust baths and quarantine her.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Our new white girl is very pregnant i'd say about 2 months along, very heavy and bulging. What can i do for her in the meantime? I let her play with my boy chinnie and she nipped a piece of hair from him. So im not putting them together anymore. She is very freindly to me though, crawling on me as i type this. I still havent named her so feel free to suggest something. The people who owned her originally didnt have a name for her i guess, and they have had her since birth...I love this girl and think that she deserves nothing but the best after the mess her life has been so far. Oh and can anyone tell me what type of chinchilla chinnie is? I was told he is a sapphire, and he has light gray fur and pinkish ears and eyes but im not so sure anymore, as ive heard that sapphires are rare. He is pictured in the third thumbnail on the threadstarter, thanks everyone !

Lois Isabel

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Chinnie doesn't look at all like a sapphire to me, he looks like a light TOV beige.
http://chinnitude.com/praline.htm

Make sure your girl is on a high quality diet in a good environment, and read up on birth and pregnancy. You might search this forum for threads regarding both, you'll find some helpful info.

Stephanie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Jane, i had a feeling that those people were pulling my leg. They must have thought that there was a better chance of me buying him if i thought he was a sapphire. Little did they know that i fell in love with him right away, they could have told me that he was a puke green chin and i still wouldve bought him . His type and color dont matter to me as im not planning to breed him. I dont want to sound stupid but i have to ask, what does TOV stand for? bear with me guys im new to the chinchilla game

Lois Isabel

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh i forgot to reply about our new girl. Well her name is officially "Deja" i like it and it suits her. She is eating mazuri pellets and timothy hay, with the occasional raisin as a treat, she has a large water bottle that is refilled and rinsed out with bottled water each day. She is in a large cage (3 wide x 4 long x 4 tall) with shelves and levels to jump on, and a huge exercise wheel to run on. We have some chin safe branches in there for her to perch on as well. She really seems to love her new home as her previous cage was shared by 2 nippy cagemates and was only about as big as a large hamster cage .

Our chin area is kept very quiet and dark in the daytime and at night we let her out to play with us for at least an hour. She is getting better with us now and hops into our hands to come out. She likes to lay beside me and have her ears scratched which makes me feel oh so loved and important. So long story short she is doing well as far as we can tell, any suggestions to make her more comfortable would be welcomed though

Lois Isabel

Last edited by Phawn; 06-25-2005 at 12:05 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Playful Pup

Hello Phawn,
Your "Chinnie" boy looks like he's a very light brown velvet or a dark beige... it's hard to tell in that picture. He looks alot like my male and my male is a brown velvet.
As to the hair loss... Chinchillas are very territorial and can be VERY agressive (I learned this the hard way) Stitch (my male) decided one night to take after Twitch one of my grey females and he ripped quite a bit of fur out, she's not got a very patchy coat, I was told after this very upsetting ordeal that they were NOT ready to be put together ( I was told this by a good breeder...unlike the breeder I got my male and one of my females from). He had to be housed sepperatly in a cage next to my female for a few weeks... I have just (in the last 2 days) introduced him in the bottom half of their 5' cage to Sprocket...and so far so good. I hope this trend continues and I can eventually pull the divider out and let every one be together. (the cage division is only a temp situation untill I get somethings in my house moved and my room turned in to "chinchilla-world" And I have the huge cage set up...Wheee I can't wait!)
Any how i'm rambeling on... But it's very possible that a cage mate did that to her. I've sadly found this out the hard way... Other the proper care and a good diet...Time is the only thing that will fix missing fur.
I hope I helped at least a littttle bit? *smile*
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:33 AM
Playful Pup

Oh yes! I ment to mention...When you see a sapphire, you'll know...They're beautiful. They're a litteral blue color... At least the ones i've seen. They're a kind of gun metal blue, with a powder look to the coat... It's hard to explane with out seeing it. I've only had the pleasure of seeing one in person. I hope that eventually I can find one my self. They're really stunning to have the pleasure of seeing. But then again all chinchillas are, right?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Part of the Pack

Sounds like you are doing everything right for her, though you still might take her to the vet for a check up.

Your male chinnie is a brown velvet (aka TOV beige). You can read more about the TOV gene here: http://www.chinformation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys . I would never have thought that chinnie was a brown velvet, he looks so gray! But im starting to understand the colors and such, i can see the beige in him now. Stephanie i didnt mean to write "thanks jane" i meant to write "jade" sorry about that. Plummie i thought i would let you know that deja and i are going to see the vet next week, i'll give an update after that . Just one more thing, what do you think that deja is? There are so many different whites out there its hard to be sure.

Lois Isabel

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Part of the Pack

Deja looks like a pink white to me, because of her red eyes.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Pink white, thats neat i like it!! thankx plummie

Lois Isabel

Tags
brown velvet, cage mate, dust bath, dust baths, hair loss, hamster cage, male cat, red eyes, timothy hay, vet visit