Newbie Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Newbie Questions

I've been planning on getting a chinchilla or two this summer when my living situation changes to a more suitable place for a chinchilla. I've done a good deal of research, read a few books, but still have a couple nagging questions that I've never found a decent (I know there are no definitive answers) answer to.

Probably the most frequent question I've seen, but I have to ask it. I'm having issue locating a breeder in the southern Ohio area (near Cincinnati). I don't mind a drive, but anything I've found seems outdated or has not been updated for a year or two. I'm looking for one or two kits, m/m or f/f. I'm not looking for breeding stock or any fancy genetic qualities. Just a healthy chin. I'm not considering rescue.

I'm building my own cage, and have found mixed information on how to go about this. One book I read said that PVC tubes made great tunnels, followed by a "don't use plastic" warning. Which is it? As for the bottom of the cage, I don't want it to be wire mesh. Ideally I'd like a metal tray at the bottom, but I haven't found anything yet. Would coroplast (corrugated plastic) suffice or would it end up being too dangerous?

Toys. I've read plenty on what chins like and etc., and they all say making your toys is great fun! Then that's when they change chapters. I know only certain woods should be used, but where do I get it? Can I just go to a local Home Depot or Lowes, or are there certain stores or places I need to go for that? What have you found / what process of making toys and/or materials work well?

That's all that's nagging me currently, everything else seems pretty explanatory. Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

plastic is bad for chinchillas. even if they dont show signs of chewing it at first, eventually they will get bored and try to taste it. if it is ingested, it is very unhealthy for them. some companies will make metal trays either a generic size or a custom tray. that would be something I would search the internet to find a good price.

you can purchase (kiln dried) pine for making toys at a local home improvement store. another thing to look into is bird toys. many are made from chinchilla safe manzanita wood.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Playful Pup

to bad your so far away a local breeder in rochester ny just updated her site and she has a bunch of kits for sale. if you feel like lookingher site is called fortheloveofchinchillas.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:53 PM
chinchilla breeder

There are a ton of breeders in Ohio. I mean a ton. Go to mutationchinchillas.com the ryersons are there, shoots, Lange, ritterspatch. there are more than that but those are the ones that come to mind. http://mutationchinchillas.com/ that is the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:46 PM

HI, Im new here but i know a ton about chinchillas.
as for the chinchilla breeders in Ohio..um im not to sure. you could try to look for some on craigslist.com. there are babies for sale in the classified on that site sometimes. Or keep looking up chinchilla breeders in ohio on google. Thats all i can say about that issue because i know nothing about there because im from Virginia. I got all my babies from a breeder as well, but she lives about 35 minutes from me. Anyways about the cage bottom. Like a tractor supply or farm and fleet type store usually sells metal and plastic trays for making cages so you could try there. A wooden bottom would also work. Make the sides about 5" high all the way around though so you can fill it with bedding and just set the cage down in it or whatever way it works.
And also about the toys, Wooden bird toys form petco or petsmart are the BEST chinchilla toys EVER! Anything wood that is bird safe is also chin safe. I have alot of big bulky wooden bird toys in my cages that mu chinchillas LOVE. Or you can try this site, i get tons of my chinchilla toys form there yummychinchillatoys.com. well there you go. Hope i helped. if you have any questions let me know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:15 PM
chinchilla breeder

One thing to note though not all bird safe woods are chinchilla safe....
I wondered how your breeder search went? I thought of a few more in Ohio if you still need some. There are some great breeders out there in Ohio. it is the chinchilla capitol seriously many excellent breeders live in your state!

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Search is still going, what did you have in mind?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 PM
chinchilla breeder

I believe chins by design is in Ohio she has beautiful animals. try going to chins-n-hedgies.com they have several breeder registered there that are in Ohio and chinchillaclub.com has a breeders listing. Every fall there is a chinchilla show in Mansfield that is a great place to go to. It is a claiming show so all the animals there are for sale, or if you find a breeder in another state a lot of us go to that show. there is a chinchilla show at the ryersons soon, I forget where in Ohio they are but there will be a lot for sale there too or you can find a breeder who is going there

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Tags
breeder, cage, chinchilla, coroplast, plastic