night time barking ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

night time barking ?

hey guys !

Just heard my chin "bark" for the first time last night.

At first, I thought he was hurt because I have never heard him make that noise, but when I when to his cage he was just sitting on his favorite level that he prefers to be pet on.

This happened like four more times throughout the night, the barks loud and serious enough to wake me up.

Was he barking so much because he just learned to do it, or was he just wanting attention ?

He stopped barking after I stopped getting up to check on him each time. Just a theory.

Advice ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Newborn Pup

i've only seen mine bark when they were mad.

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hmm, then maybe it wasn't barking ? Could he have been making some sort of other noise ?

What exactly does barking sound like ?

It was so weird, but I really think it was for attention. Maybe he was mad that I was sleeping and not paying attention to him ?

Like I said, once I got up and pet him he would stop making the noise until I fell back asleep, then he would do it again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Newborn Pup

oh you'll know a bark when you hear one, it actually sounds like a dog bark. lol...

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Newborn Pup

Theirs many reasons a chin will bark like that. The main reason is its a warning call. If they sence some kind of danger theyll sound off. Of course this means they could hear a noise outside, or just something their not frimalar with. And they will often do it a few times in a row. Sometimes they seem to do it for the heck of it to. Iv also seen mine personaly do it as a way to say 'quite down! im trying to sleep!'
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Adolescent Pup

Mine does it at night if shes dreaming or if something startles her.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

My house is pretty quiet, and my chillas have their own room, but sometimes a weird noise will startle one of them and I will hear their alarm call sound. I just ignore it unless it continues and there really is something wrong.

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Newborn Pup

Depending on the Bark it could of also been a way of wanting attention. i know my little guy will make silly noises when he wants me to stop what im doing and come over and say hi! and since chinchillas are more twilight/evening animals that might be why yours is doing it in the pm hours!

Tags
advice, barking, chinchilla