No!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

No!!!

Agh!!! I just looked at Obi and his nose is missing fur and is all red!!

Fungus??? Help!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

another

Stephanie

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:20 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Is Obi in a cage alone?Maybe rubbed the fur off on cage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:22 AM

Looks like it could be.

Of course you need to separate him out, which I know you have already done. And dust them with the anti-fungal powder. You can even use the cream too...

I use Tinactin cause it has 1% tolfanate. Not all have that.

I sure hope it is not fungus, but better to be safe than sorry.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

another

Stephanie

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

FYI,

The first thing I did was pull him out of Audi's cage. He's now in a small cage again (poor guy) which I thoroughly sterilized. Audi's will be sterilized tomorrow after work (too much of a job at 1:30am) with bleach. Augh.

Chrisanne,
Turns out the powder I use has an active ingredient of Tolnaftate 1%.

Stephanie

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:32 AM

I don't know what fungus looks like from personal experiance, but it looks to me like it could be from sticking his nose out between the bars. In the first pic his fur looks a little chewed almost (just past the hairless part), maybe from the bars or overzealous grooming by Audi? At any rate, sterilizing the cages and using the antifungal powder certainly can't hurt!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Where the fur looks chewed is due to Kiz -- she caused him to slip quite a bit of fur and refuses to accept him. (she's been separated for a week.) Not to mention him not wanting to come out of the cage for inspection!

I'm hoping upon hope that he's just rubbed his nose against the wire, as Audi has NO sign of anything but the more I look at it, I doubt it. It's almost spotted looking. I emailed my vet and will probably take him in Sat or Mon.

Stephanie

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:45 PM

I hope he gets better soon. Poor little guy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Fertile Myrtle

He has done that before - when I had him in a small cage by himself. He does not like to be alone unless you're giving him TONS of play time and he will stress. But you already saw that!

Looks to me like he just rubbed it - looks like it did last time. Seperating them is good - I would just keep an eye on it. If it's fungus it will spread but if it's just a sore it should start healing as long as he quits rubbing it.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Christi, I feel a BIT better. But it is kind of spotty and even a little scaly looking, which makes me think ringworm or another fungus. Will keep an eye on it til I can get to the doc to check it out!

Stephanie

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Jade, ringworm can metamorphesize (sp?) in many different forms and fashions. I have seen allllll kinds of ringworm! Chins can have spontaneous outbreaks of ringworm at any given time. Stress can also cause ringworm. Chinchilla are very prone to ringworm.

Always always... keep Tinactin (with 1% tolfanate) in your chins dust bowls to prevent you and your chins lots of heartache and suffering. Or the powder you have found with the 1% tolfanate. Just make sure it does have than as the main active ingredient. I would only personally recommend a teaspoon per dust bath, and not the ointment. It is a VERY strong medication and has never been proven to be safe topically on pets. I wouldn't use it due to their licking (although its his nose, but still lol), ingesting some of it, or getting the cream in their eyes.

Hopefully it is just from him rubbing his nose as Christi stated. But keep a CLOSE eye on it and go ahead and seperate and put the powder in all of your chins dust baths from now on! It is a great preventative AND effective treatment.

If it does change in any way that is not for the better, give him a bath every day, and in a week if it's still not better take him to the vet. Also, be sure to know that ringworm does not glow under a UV light like it does in most animals. So if the vet try's this, it is not effective. The true way to find out is to take a sample of fur. Get the vet to prescribe griseofluvin. MAKE SURE that it is given in a very very small dose and the dosage is measured by his weight. It is a very very strong drug. Yet clears up ringworm fast! Use it for the recommended full 6 weeks once DAILY. Any slack and the ringworm could come back full force. Even if the infected area looks totally fine after several weeks, still do it 6 weeks. Ringworm can live in the body a very long time, it can come back in a second if not totally cured from it the first time. Then you have to start all over again.

Good luck, and I hope it's just from him rubbing his nose... but if it's not, at least you have a bit more insight! Hope this helps! If you need anything, let me know!

** Oh almost forgot, had to edit my post! Ringworm can show on ANY parts of the body, but "typically" shows around the nose and mouth area and/or around their ears. But, keep in mind... I have seen it everywhere! Including a male of mine that got ringworm on his poor little penis!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

Last edited by EyesOfTXChins; 11-08-2002 at 03:22 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 11:38 PM

One of my babies had that once, he was very into chewing the bars and since they are about 1/2 inch high but 2 inches long he would stick his nose between the wires and chew up and down the length of it. He got a bald slightly red nose but I moved him into a different cage and it cleared up just fine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Misty

Good thing the fur grows back! Poor baby ... does he "wipe" his nose allot ... like it itches?

Tags
dust bath, dust baths