Noel had a seizure - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Unhappy Noel had a seizure

For the first time I saw Noel having a seizure and it scared the pants off of me. She was on the floor of her and Delilah's cage rolling around (as if she were having a dustbath) then her body went limp and she stayed motionless. I picked her up (I probably shouldn't have done that) and held her until she came around. Within 15 seconds she was back to her normal self and even bit me because she was scared. I put her back in her cage, gave her a tiny bit of apple and she devoured it. Then she proceeded to eat her pellet like she hadn't eaten in a long time. Now she is resting comfortably. Poor girl.

I have never had a chinnie that had a seizure before so this entire experience freaked me out.

Last edited by Denise; 06-26-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They can be very scary to witness. Keep in mind, they usually have no concept of what's going on - studies have shown that they don't seem to hurt. The best thing you can do is try to prevent injury during the seizure and talk soothingly to her afterwards while she's coming out of it.

Has she been diagnosed as an epileptic? I can't remember. If she has, you may look at keeping a 'seizure journal' to record how long they last, movements, and how long recovery time is.

I'm sorry, I know how awful it is to witness a seizure.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Steph, no she hasn't been diagnosed as an epileptic. I would think when I take her to the vet they will take blood tests to determine what the cause is?

Thanks for the support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no Denise, I am so sorry to hear this. I have no experience with chinchillas and siezures, so I don't have any advice to offer.. just wanted to let you know you and Noel are in my thoughts and I hope everything is ok. My cat, Snuggles, has siezures and although it's not the same thing as Noel, I know how scary it is to witness when he has one. We are all here for you, girl.

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh Denise! I'm so sorry! I have never seen a seizure in a chin, but I have seen them in dogs and my youngest brother is epileptic. Jade's right, seizures themselves are painless, but you do need to be careful they don't hurt themselves during one. My brother has broken many bones during seizures. Yeah, I would have the vet check her blood levels and sugar levels as well. Finding out the cause of the seizure may help in preventing them in the future. Good Luck

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Thank you for all of your support. It means a lot to me. Right now she is acting like her normal, crazy, self. Bless her. I will certainly keep all of you updated on her situation.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise
Steph, no she hasn't been diagnosed as an epileptic. I would think when I take her to the vet they will take blood tests to determine what the cause is?

Thanks for the support.
Yep, they'll want to run bloodwork. There are typically 4 causes of seizures -- epilepsy, extreme blood sugar, toxin, or a brain tumor.

There's no diagnostic tool for epilepsy, so you have to rule out the others. Glucose and kidney/liver screens will rule out a blood sugar and toxin. Brain tumors are most often seen in older animals and the only true way to rule this out is a CT scan. Epilepsy most often presents at 2-5 years of age (I think) and is idiopathic most of the time.

Stephanie

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I have a friend at work who has a chinchilla who has seizures. She tells me about them and it breaks my heart.

I will think good thoughts for you and Noel and hope and pray things work out for the best!

Karen

[

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Part of the Pack

I've never seen it, but I am really glad I have heard about it just so I won't freak out too bad if one of the chins had one. (yeah right I say that, I will totally freak) It would still make me uber concerned and break my heart wanting to do "something" to help.

I met this little chin this weekend who had a stroke and his neck is a bit turned so he does circles very well, at first I was sad for him but he is really healthy and was playing just like any chin if not friendlier. I was happy he has a good mom who takes great care of him, he seems to be living a happy chin life. He wasn't always like this but seems to be getting on pretty well after his stroke. They have to do neck stretching therapy with him to hopefully straighten out his little turned neck.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Irregular and Proud!

So sorry to hear about Noel. My chins Maureen and Muad'dib (mother and son) both have idiopathic epilepsy. It is so hard when they have seizures, because there is nothing you can do, and they really have no idea what is going on. All you can do is make her comfortable. I find Maureen likes a dust bath after a seizure, then a snack, and then takes a long nap. And there is nothing wrong with picking them up while they have a seizure. It allows you to limit their movement and can be reassuring.

How old is Noel? Maureen and Muad'dib both started having seizures around 6-9 months with the frequency peaking around 12-18 months of age. Then Maureen went almost 3 years without a seizures. Now they have an episode from time to time.

In May, Muad'dib had a very bad episode wherein he had seizures every couple of minutes for more than 2 hours. Blood work the next day showed that one of his liver enzymes was very high and comparison to his mother's bloodwork after a similar bout of seizures showed less elevated levels. It is not certain whether the liver enzyme imbalance causes the seizures or whether the stress on the body from prolonged seizures messes up the liver enzyme levels. My vet recommended treatment with milk thistle. I am doing it for three months and then am going to have repeat bloodwork done.

If you get bloodwork done and you want to compare notes, PM me and I will share some of the values with you. My vet also furnished me with a list of 'standard' values. Don't know exactly what they were based on, but the values from both vets for 'average' agree pretty well.

Good luck. There is hope. Oh, and two other potential causes for epilepsy, nutritional deficiency and hormone changes from pregnancy. (Incidentally, while pregnant and nursing, Maureen had no problems. In fact, she was so healthy I didn't even know about her little and highly inprobably suprize until a few days before he was born.)

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Patti, thank you so much for that! Noel will be 19 months old on July the 9th. She may very well have had a seizure before but I wasn't home to witness it. I pretty much live in the chinnie room when I am home but I am not with them 24 hours a day. All the chinnies are on the same diet but it is possible she is not getting enough of one particular nutrient because her body does not produce enough of it or metabolize it. She has an appointment next Friday. I have been monitoring her behaviour and she is acting like her normal, silly, self.

I will indeed compare blood levels with you. Thanks for offering.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sorry to hear about that Denise! I hope that the vet is able to find out whats wrong, and I hope she gets better soon!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

For those of you that have never seen her, here is what she looks like:

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Beautiful girl! I hope it is something easily remedied.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh, what a pretty girl!

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Tags
dust bath, food bowl