Not Nursing - Worrying Me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Not Nursing - Worrying Me

Aurora, the largest of the two kits doesn't seem to be nursing as much. I catch her sleeping in the corner of the cage or on a totally different floor than mom and Ariel. She's gained ok but I've just started noticing this yesterday. Should I worry? I'm going out of town tomorrow night!

8/20 - 58
8/25 - 82
8/28 - 89
8/29 - 90

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:42 PM

I would take mom and kits with me on the trip home.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 12:38 AM

I wouldn't worry too much just yet, if her weight isn't up by tomorrow you might want to start helping. I agree with Sassy though, if you don't think it will stress them out too much take them with you just to make sure they have the best care (you) if they do need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

How much should she be gaining each day?

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:44 AM

I would say atleast 2-3 grams.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 12:28 PM

Do you see her eating solids (hay and pellets)? She's aroudn 10 days, maybe she ate too much hay. If she isn't nursing or gaining and even worse loosing, I'd start to supplement.

Is she the dominant kit or the submissive again?

Also, when does Mike get to come back? Aurora may be nursing when you don't see and not spending time with Alice do a personality thing. She's big enough to generate her own heat. Maybe she would hand out better with daddy.

Keep us posted.

Patti
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I tried to put Mike in and Alice tore a hole in his a$$! LOL Literally, there is a huge hole of fur missing. She beat the crap out of him so out he went.

Neither are dominant - it's weird - they are both SO laid back!!

Neither are dropping, Aurora is still at 90g today so she's not losing. I've instructed my roommate to weigh them each day and call me if either drops. If that happens I guess I'll have to bribe Critter into coming over and handfeeding for me.

You could be right about me not seeing her nursing, it's just weird, I've never seen kits spend as much time away from mom as these two do. They'll huddle up together while mom's off eating or whatever - most kits follow mom around.

Thanks guys!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 05:59 PM

Generally, I found with Alice that her kits would nurse and then would spend most of their remaining time with Mike. These two sound particularly zen but self reliant. A good combination of daddy's calmness and Alice's intelligence. However, caution is always wise. If they start to drop weight, feed them.

Another thing to note is that some kits eats lots of solids early. Muad'dib really ate quite a lot of solids starting @ two weeks. He also nursed until he was so big that he had to bend his neck to reach the nipple. This lead him to be huge and to wean between 5 and 6 weeks.

Also, look for wellformed baby poops. They are an indication that eating solids had started to a certain extent.

Good luck.

Patti
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 04:48 PM

So, have they started nursing more in front of you or are they still at odds with Alice?

Patti