nuetering gone bad very bad - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy nuetering gone bad very bad

i know that this is not everyones experience but it was mine.
i hand raised a chinny roughly 7 months ago they were my second litter born my parents(chinnies) just couldn't cope with two very demanding babies!!!!
so i pulled them as a last resort after they were attacked by mum at 3 days. i had a grey girl(Bindi) and a biege boy(Toby). i had problems with Toby he did not want to eat but with a little encouragement he started and it was not long before he was eating and doing normal chinny things.
i decided to keep them both but i realised that i would need to have him nuetered if i wanted to keep them together and i approached my vet and he said he would do it and it was staight forward and so he was operated on.
this is where everything started to go wrong
1. he was operated on by a different vet who had not done it before
2. he was sent home with no pain relief given to him during surgery
3. the vet used cat gut stitches

he had a reaction to the stitches used and got an infection then a tumor grew that was not scar tissue(where his teste was)
or abcess we are guessing it was a cancer of some sort it grew to be the size of a large marble in the space of a few days it affected his kidneys and we had to have the chinny that i spent hours raising put to sleep.
so my warning is this find a vet who knows what they are doing insist on that vet doing it and please make sure your chinny gets pain relief had i known later that he had not gotten any i would have taken him back for something to make him comfortable the only reason i found out was when i had the cat spayed and had to sign for pain relief to be given apparently this is policy for all surgery.

so im sorry Toby had i known i would have kept you as you were and sorted something different. watch the others from above miss your happy little face heaps RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 PM

I'm really really sorry
I personally don't know of a lot of people
who neuters chins...
When I was on a chinchilla board a few years back (it wasn't a very friendly board!!) a lot of
"higher up people with lots of experience with chins" would yell at us "newbies" for asking questions about neutering etc.

You had the best of intentions in mind.
I'm sorry things turned out bad,but it wasn't your fault

RIP Toby
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww i'm so sorry for your loss

My boy Ralph has been neutered, he was a rescue and his previous owners had him done, its quite commonplace in the UK amongst chinnie owners to get the male neutered so he can live with a female. I agree its really important to check your vet out and find out how much experience they have in the precedure on chins, it sounds like the vets let you down and personally i feel they owe you some compensation. It won't bring Toby back but it could stop them doing the same to another chinchilla

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Proud New Mommy

I'm so sorry for your loss . We went through a similar situation with Jade a few years back. It was horrendous.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks it has made me relunct(sp) to get any others done.yeah we have a few higher up groups here they are not any good when it comes to protecting the rescuers which is sad
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Sorry for your loss but it is a very good story, make sure if you own the pet, KNOW what vet...and demand that vet
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. You should report the vet or file a complaint though, to prevent any such occurrences happening again.