odd eating habits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Question odd eating habits

I'm confused about my Chinchi's unusual behavhior lately. Recently she has started to refuse treats. She still begs for them, but then when one is offered, she throws it aside. Actually she will accept rasins sometimes. But since she's normally so greatful for any kind of treat I think this is a bit odd. Also she has started to dig through her food pellets before she eats them. Also, the other night I noticed she has a bald spot just infront of her left eye. She's about 5 and a half years old...and there haven't been any extreme changes in her lifestyle...Also, no sign of constipation or diareah in her feces. I wonder if anyone knows whats causing this and how it can be fixed. (I do plan on talking her to the vet about the bald spot.) Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hi there,

When you take her to the vet (preferrably soon), make sure they check for teeth problems.

The eating changes suggest malocclusion to me - she wants to eat, but it hurts. She wants her favorite treats, but they're too painful to eat. The bald spot under her eye could be her rubbing at that area because of pain. The roots can literally grow into the eye and sinus cavity, causing pain and eye watering.

For more details on the disease, here's an article I've written: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17468

The only way to find out for sure is to take her to an experienced exotic veterinarian. Malocclusion is most often mis-diagnosed as an eye infection due to the watery eyes. Sedation may be necessary to examine her back teeth and take x-rays to see the roots.

Other possibilities could be a bacterial imbalance or fungus, causing the bald spot under the eye. At the vets, my primary concern would be tooth problems. If her teeth appear normal, I would ask for a skin scrape of the area under her eye, and a fecal stain/sample.

All of these do need veterinary care to get a definitive diagnosis and I hope for your sake that it's just an imbalance of intestinal bacteria or fungus. Please let us know how your chin does. Best of luck to both of you.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Added thoughts:
It isn't very common for a 5 yr old to have malclussion but sometimes a chin gets things stuck inbetween the molars like hay causing pain or discomfort and this can in turn cause food rejection. It is real important like Jade said to have a qualified vet look at her soon. Any reduction in eating and chewing can create over growth in teeth.
Let us know how your sweetie is doing.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinhappy
Added thoughts:
It isn't very common for a 5 yr old to have malclussion
Wow, the ages we've seen malocclusion in the office are usually between 3-6. Glad to know that isn't the norm!

Stephanie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I understand that studies have shown malclussion to show up between 18 months and 3 yrs. This is also true in other animals. It is a common problem for rabbits. Malclussion is a recessive gene they say it can be bred out of the genetic lines but why mess with it. Most genetic problems show up before 3 yrs.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, after a visit to the her vet this morning, I'm happy to report that there doesn't seem to be any extreme problems with her teeth, the vet said they seem to be allright. Of course no X-ray was taken so we don't know for sure. She said that if I notice any drooling, I should take my Chinchilla back in immediatly.... And as for that bald spot infront of her eye it was treated for an infection and cleaned out. Hopefully within the next week it'll go away. Thank you all for your help and support, I hope that in the next few weeks she'll stay healthy, and won't have to go in again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I hope that she is ok!

I just wanted to mention that my Ernie was 5 years old

Tags
exotic vet, veterinary care