Odd episode.. waht's wrong? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Odd episode.. waht's wrong?

This happened a few weeks ago. Charlie (chinchilla) was playing, and alll of the sudden he stopped. He shuddered, his ears went back, he closed his eyes and SPEWED spit onto the ground. He did this repeatedly. He goes all sluggish and lethargic, stops moving, closes his eyes. HE LET ME PICK HIM UP (which he never does.) we couldnt find anywhere to take him. Desperate, we took him to petsmart. yes. petsmart. they kept him overnight, they said he pooped alot, and the next day he was fine, they dried up his chest and he was his old, hyperactive, jittery self again.

WHAT HAPPENED?????

does it have to do with malocclusion, or anything?
he's been fine and he uses his chew toy ALOT now, and I always feed him ALOT of hay, cause he eats it so fast, at least like two handfuls. a day. I've never seen him eat from his bowl but the food level in his bowl does decrease, so I think he is eating.

What up with Charlie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Sure it wasen't some sort of seazure?
Maybe he ate something poisonous while running outside the cage...!?

It sounds kinda like a mild version of an epeleptic seazure one of our chinnies got a while back. He didn't spit though. That's why I am thinking he might have eaten something while running.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chinchi; 12-18-2007 at 09:46 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM

Poor chap Sending you and your boy good thoughts .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Sure it wasen't some sort of seazure?
Maybe he ate something poisonous while running outside the cage...!?

It sounds kinda like a mild version of an epeleptic seazure one of our chinnies got a while back. He didn't spit though. That's why I am thinking he might have eaten something while running.
I totally thought it was a seizure, but everyone told me "no, no, no!" he's fine now, I also think he might have eaten a plant he shouldn't have.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
RAT ADDICT

Are there any exoctic vets in your area?

I don't know enough about chins to give any advice,but it would be good to have an exotic vet on hand if it happens again or for other emergencies.

I hope Charlie is okay!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree it sounds like some kind of seizure but a vet would be the best place to get advice. Was there any chance he could have over heated whilst out of the cage as that can cause a seizure in some cases?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:17 PM

I highly recommend you get Charlie to a vet and checked out. If he has any sort of health problems it is better that they find them, than he suffers and possibly passes on. If you love your Charlie...like I love my babies you would get him checked. If he is having eye problems and seizures he needs some attention from a professional. That just is not normal chin behavior. Goodluck! ((Give Charlie some kisses)) And just a sidenote...perhaps you should chin proof his play areas, if he has eaten something he shouldn't have. Or make sure he plays in an area with nothing edible or plastic because this can make him very ill.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. just saying, I think it was something He eats. we keep him in the plant room because it has adjustable temperature for just that room. I think what happened was he sucked in a branch along with a leaf and it messed him up.

I wasnt too worried about the eye thing. he's fine now! He's young and he just had a major enviroment change to my house, so he's gonna get sick. It's all good. I'll tell charlie you said hi!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS View Post
I highly recommend you get Charlie to a vet and checked out. If he has any sort of health problems it is better that they find them, than he suffers and possibly passes on. If you love your Charlie...like I love my babies you would get him checked. If he is having eye problems and seizures he needs some attention from a professional. That just is not normal chin behavior. Goodluck! ((Give Charlie some kisses)) And just a sidenote...perhaps you should chin proof his play areas, if he has eaten something he shouldn't have. Or make sure he plays in an area with nothing edible or plastic because this can make him very ill.

Hope this helps.
The nearest exotic vet is in baltimore. two hours away from here. Thats why I try to keep him in good health. right now I feed him EXTRA nutrients, I always keep a handful of hay in there and when he finishes it i give him more. He loves his chew toy, His eyes are not too watery, and he is always energetic, even during the day! If he had tooth problems, there would be signs like loss of hunger, but Charlie is a FATTIE!

P.s. I really appreciate your messages. thanks!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Not all true.
Most animals don't show if anything is wrong, before it's too late.
And if he's a bit overweight, it might be a problem!

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 PM

take him to a vet, my athos (passed away today) seemed fine and then got worse, take him to a vet asap...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Not all true.
Most animals don't show if anything is wrong, before it's too late.
And if he's a bit overweight, it might be a problem!
No by fattie I mean he likes to eat.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 PM

good luck with your chin. They are prey animals and will hide all symptoms, the only way to for sure know is to have an xray taken and only a vet can do it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Part of the Pack

My chin Marlo used to do something similar to that. He would go limp and shutter now and then and would let me hold him for 10 min before he was good enough to walk around again. I took him to the vet and they wernt really sure if it was a seizure or if maybe he had chewed on a wire and got a shock...
(make sure all your wires are hidden well also!)
But he hasnt done it for years now... so i dont know what happened.
But i would def take him to the vet, you dont want him to keep having seizures if theres something you can give him for it, its probably pretty scary for them. good luck!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 PM

i agree with everyone else take him to the vet even if he seems fine now

Tags
chew toy, dust bath, emergency vet, exotic vet