Oh the messes they make! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh the messes they make!

Sunday nights are cage cleaning nights. I go through and wipe down all the cages and accessories, replace bedding, check collars on the Shoots females in the runs, and do hair ring checks on all the boys...you get the idea! Well, it usually takes about 3 hours just to turn the chin room from this:

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

To this:

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:55 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Cool

Oooo 3 hours? It takes me longer than that to feed my animals

1 question for ya... How big are those 'run cages?' And is that an ok size for a chin? How big are the 2 story cages? How many can you have in those?

Last edited by Pure14K; 05-03-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

The run cages are the standard size that ranchers all use...I'm not fond of them and am working on plans to build a run of a much more substantial size where they can have shelves and leap-n-ledges and all that fun stuff. Once I get that all done, these runs will only be used for quarentine or weaned kits if need be.
My plan is to make cages about 2' by 3' by 4' with a run in the back and castor wheels so I can just wheel them up to next to each other for the run. I just get so worried about males and females possibly fighting and would like for the male to be able to get away if he needs to. The only chins in the runs are the Shoots chins who grew up in them and seem more comfortable in the run cages...Everyone else is in the larger cages that I'm planning to replace with melamine cages as well. (it's mostly a matter of Shane finding time to help me build it all) We're working on it though!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh! LOL! I missed your other two questions!
The cage that is all wood and wire just houses Mercedes right now...It's big enough for 2 chins, the black wire one I wouldn't put more than 2 chins in...Jetta is in the top right now and Kir is on the bottom right now. The white wire one is big enough for 3-4 chins. Ty is on the top at the moment and Phil is on the bottom. Phil chews Ty's fur so I had to separate them. I'm thinking of getting Jetta and Mercedes together until Jetta is old enough to be caged with Kir.

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh wow Mandie three hours!!! I complain cause it takes me an hour to clean out two bunny cages, a mouse cage and do a doggy poop run!lol Guess I better stop complaining then!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

LOL! Three hours is nothing for 9 chinnies! From what I hear, it takes a lot longer for people with a lot more chinnies than me!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Longer than three hours?? These people are nuts!!!! I'd be training the chinnies to clean up after themselves!!! Jeez!!! I mean Molly (rabbit) does....if I don't get to her kitty litter tray quick enough she tips it out in her cage fills it up with her bedding and starts a fresh!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Jetta will dump hers...but she won't refill it herself! She just throws it all over the floor instead!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Gotta love cleaning day!

I love that wooden cage in the last pic, did you make that yourself?

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Actually I got that from someone for free! It had all wire floors too, so I updated and upgraded it with some EverTru from Lowes and made it a solid bottom on both levels and very comfy for chinnie feet! It's kinda funny, because that is probably my favorite cage and it was free! There is a litter pan on the top shelf and from day one, Mercedes has always used it for pee! It must be instinct or something...she just prefers to pee in that! Unless she's spraying whoever is out for playtime...then she dribbles

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Three hours isn't bad. It takes me about 4 hours though to do all that. Clean cages, wash feed and water bowls, play with chinnies, weigh, etc

I have some run cages too, but i use them for weaning cages, quarantine cages, and materninty cages for a high strung mom.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 11:30 AM

It takes us about 4 hrs to clean cages and another hour to feed hay and water
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Gee! I guess I'm doing good then! LOL! But again...only 9 chinnies to contend with.
Also, That doesn't include playtime...they each get between a half hour to an hour of that a night too

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

lol i am very slow but i do half the cages on tuesday and half on wednesday. about 6 hours without help. I feed and water as needed every morning and before i go to bed. I vacuum atleast twice a week. Tho i have designed new cages that literally don't make any mess. the chins are for some reason not able to make a huge mess in these cages!!! And they're wire too!

Alicyn

Tags
cage cleaning, chin room, kitty litter, litter pan, litter tray, pet store, pet stores, water bowl