OMG! Petsmart listened! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Talking OMG! Petsmart listened!

Whenever I go into Petsmart to get dog food or toys, chinchilla toys and whatnot, I always check to see if they have Chinchillas. Ususally they do. Over the past several months when I've gone in, I checked on the chins and there would be dirty water bottles, no hay, bowls full of treats...etc and I ALWAYS complain to the managers about it. A few weeks ago I brought in a whole write up on chinchilla husbandry and when I went in yesterday to get dog food, I, of course, checked on the chins. To my utter surprise, they really had 2 females (not a male in the cage, so they were actually sexed correctly!) Pellets with NO TREATS in it, a huge bowl of hay, and a new and CLEAN water bottle! Someone even put some little ice cubes in it! The chins were freshly dusted and actually had chew toys! I was so surprised! They finally listened to me! I had the manager called over to express my happiness and he told me it was because a customer brought in some info that helped them learn more (of course that was me! Duh!) Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that sometime the big pet chains will listen, if you are persistant! At least the chins there are more comfortable and being taken care of better!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I need to take on into our Petsmart too. Every time I go in there the chins have fresh oranges (like a whole orange in slices per cage) in their dishes. Can you imagine the upset that much citric acid and sugar is doing to their systems?! UGH!

Glad to hear someone actually stood up and listened!!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

They did that here with the Orange thing not too long ago! They had 1/3 of an orange and a baby carrot in there! I threw a fit and they said corporate made them do it! Well I made them take it out and trying to figure out how to get my submission to corporate as well...they said they were submitting a copy of it to corporate headquarters so hopefully all the petsmarts will change their chinchilla policies

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Miss New Booty

Wow Mandie, that is awesome they listened to you!!!! WTG girl!! Those poor chichillas! Oh no, they have chinnie's at PetSmart?!?! I have never seen them here at Petsmart. I'm so glad to hear your voice made a difference, girl!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

To make a real difference, we've got to get to corporate and get them to change their policies...if we can do that, we can impove the lives of thousands of chins at petsmarts nationwide! That's my goal!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Great to hear you are making a difference!! Wonderful!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Playful Pup

Congratulations!!! I am just went through the same thing with the PetSmart I go to!!! About a month ago, my daughter and I were picking up chin supplies and saw 2 females. They didn't have any hay or toys and they looked so sad!!! The identification card on the front of the enclosure had false information on it. It said that chinchillas were "diurnal" and were "most active and social during the day"!!! I was outraged!!! I asked to speak to the manager and he wasn't in...he would be in the next day. I left my number for him to call me...needless to say he never did...2 days later I called the store...I actually got through to him...after telling him my concerns, he told me that the chins were on a truck for 4 DAYS and that he is just now starting to learn about them and all PetSmart stores get all their chins from West Coast Chins. He was just blurting this stuff out to me!!! He said he would have the cards corrected and add information sheets as well. He also told me that it would be a good idea to express my concerns to the corporate office too. He was really nice and has (so far) acknowledged my concerns. The next time I visited, the card was corrected and they had Fact Sheets on chinchillas.

OBTW: My daughter and I winded up adopting one of the females there! My daughter insisted we take her home! LOL
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

[email protected] is where you can e-mail your concerns...I did! Hopefully we'll hear back from them.
They told you they got all their chins from West Coast Chins?? I thought they weren't allowed to say where they came from! I wonder if West Coast Chins knows they are telling people that?
Congratulations on your new fur baby though! Glad to hear you took a stand! Start e-mailing people! We've got to get them to make life better for their chins!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He actually gave you the breeder name?! I wonder if it's the same West Coast Chins registered on the forums, I didn't think they were that large scale.

Stephanie

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

I don't know, but more than one West Coast Chins?? Personally I think he just rattled off a breeder name. Petsmart here told me they got them from a distributor, but (ethically) refused to tell me which one.

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Playful Pup

He did indeed!!! After I told him a little about chinchillas, he said that he had no control over anything, that he was just a store manager, he actually started agreeing with me...that's why he said I should contact corporate. He even told me that 6 were on the truck and that they were only suppose to get 2 in at a time! I have emailed them, but I have not received a response. I intend to keep trying until something is done! They can AT LEAST provide adequate living quarters and a good diet!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Playful Pup

And can someone please tell me how chinchillas can survive on a truck for 4 DAYS!!!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Playful Pup

How can that be aloud????
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

They couldn't here! It's been either close to or above 90 degrees out daily! I just have a hard time fathoming that West Coast Chins is supplying Petsmarts nationwide. I just don't believe it!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Playful Pup

I'm sorry...I am not familiar with West Coast Chins? Who are they? Is it a ranch? I tried to research the name, but was unsuccessful.

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, dog food, pet store, pet supplies