One of my chinchillas passed away this weekend. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy One of my chinchillas passed away this weekend.

Hi,
I'm very sad right now and looking here to see if anyone has encountered anything similar to what happened to my Charley this weekend. Some background, one of my female chinchillas had diarrhea and I took her to the vet and she was dehydrated, so they gave her IV fluids and she's been on antibiotics. then last Tuesday Jasmine (my other female) was lethargic, laying on her side and breathing heavy.. I took her to the vets, they gave her fluids and antibiotics.. she is doing much better. now.. friday nite.. Charley (my first male chinchilla) showed the same symptoms as jasmine, breathing heavy and lethargic.. called the animal hosp and as we were on our way there, he died. Now, he wasnt showing any signs of diarrhea and an hour or so before that he was bopping around his cage as usual.. the vet said it may have been an infection that transferred from the girls to him by our handling them (they have separate cages) Now im worried for my other two boys, they seem fine.. but so did charley up til about an hour before he died. has anyone heard of this? im sad, my kids are sad, im in a state of disbelief..

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
Shadow, Thor, Sandy, Pandora and Isis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Will It Ever Change?

aww i'm so sorry *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you.

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."

Spike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

I don't know anything about chinchillas but, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your others are okay!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks, me too..

Spike
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM

I"m sorry for your loss

I'm not much of a chin expert, i own 1 but have never experienced what you are describing...hope someone comes around that knows more.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks Tara, me too.. also, i bought their pellets from somewhere different and even though its still Mazurri brand, im hoping that the food wasnt tainted.. the vet said no, looks more like a virus... but im worried about my other guys.

Spike
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww im soo sorry!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaawwww i'm so sorry

The thing with chins is they tend to hide illnesses pretty well till something really is wrong and it sounds like you did everything you could for him. I hope your other guys are ok, please keep us posted

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 PM

I am sorry I wish you good luck with your two females and i hope they are okay. I can't imagine how you feel, i have had gerbils that have passed away and i felt sad then, but a chinchilla you get to know much better. Again i am very very sorry for your loss.

Try to cheer up ,
Christopher H
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ok, so when my boyfriend got home from work last nite he found one of our other male chins dead. he, like charley, was showing no signs of anything amiss, we even had them all at the vet on Tuesday nite because the girls still have loose stools, but the boys were fine. im beside myself right now.

Spike
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm REALLY sorry!!

perhaps take the girls back to the vet and have them looked at again to see if there is anythign they can catch for fear that ur girls could have what the boys did... hope everything is ok.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

He did bring the girls back last nite, they got a different antibiotic and we brought my only male that I have left and gave him antibiotics too, just in case. And, they are going to do an autopsy on my male, I really need to know what is causing this. My family thinks im nuts paying for an autopsy on a chinchilla, but I need to know why this is happening and if an autopsy on one can save my other 3, then I'm all for it.

Spike
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulula
He did bring the girls back last nite, they got a different antibiotic and we brought my only male that I have left and gave him antibiotics too, just in case. And, they are going to do an autopsy on my male, I really need to know what is causing this. My family thinks im nuts paying for an autopsy on a chinchilla, but I need to know why this is happening and if an autopsy on one can save my other 3, then I'm all for it.
and i dont blame you for wanting to get his looked into...keep us posted!! you are in my thoughts
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 PM

oh and i'm glad you took the others and got some more stuff/and looked at again Very smart choice

Tags
doing fine, separate cages