pairing chinnies!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

pairing chinnies!!

i know i earlier postped about the passing away of joey, but since he died iv been getting loads of offers for chins.I went to this garden centre to look at 1 he was in a small cage he wasnt let out ever and he was on hamster foood his cage was filthy and when ii asked to hold him the grabbed him by the belly/ ribs really roughly. he was a mess and his fur was coming out. i didnt even plan on a new chin but i had to savehim!! he's doing alot better now.
while all this was going on my daD had accepted the offer of a baby chin that will leave its mother in 4 weeks im guessing it will be about 12 weeks.
SO my problem
cani get them to live together??
Do i need to wait for the baby to get big enough to defend him self??
is the putting 2 cages side by side a good way of pairing them??
PLEASE HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww poor chinnie, glad you saved him!! i know little about chin pairing, but i know about animal intros. you must quarantine the critter for 2 weeks to make sure it doesnt have diseases that it'll give to your other chin. then you can put them in side by side cages and trade bedding and blankies. give them each a chance to experience each others smells. then you can start giving them time together slowly, like in a bathroom. it must be neutral territory that neither of them 'own'. on your bed or in any space you deem chin safe. maybe even give them a dust bath when they're out together

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

One more thing:
Young * old chin = much better chance of them accepting each other than old*old chins

Some how, baby/young chins seams neutral to older/grown up chins.
I've experienced that they stop being neutral about 10 monts of age...
Some very friendly old chins eaven lets the young ones bite them a bit and stuff

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks for all the help, how do i no if the chinchilla i have at the moment dosent have deseise?? he seems ok his fur is healthy not falling out and he's eating well
Marley : ) a\zwq
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

We don't normally do all that quranteen thing over here when it comes to chinchillas, but I can still try to give you an answer

If the chinchilla sneezes, looses weight, have some fur-problems, have some ear or eye problems or other things like that, it might be some sort of deseise.
If it dosen't show any signs like these, in the quranteen period, the risk of the other chin getting something, will be minimized

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks

i noticed today when he had his daily run! he had some white liquid than was just on the bottom of both of his eyelids, but it didint look painfull, i think it may be an eye infection so im trying to find a vet for a check up
thankyou

Tags
dust bath