Pale yellow VS Bright Orange. Calcium deficient? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Pale yellow VS Bright Orange. Calcium deficient?

So.. my new Black velvet male seems to have very pale pale colored teeth. This is in comparison to my beige, who's teeth are BRIGHT orange. Does this mean he really is lacking in calcium, or can the shades of their teeth vary? What would be the best thing to give him to supplement calcium.. I've read people give them cuttlebone.. but I have a couple problems with that, one being, is cuttlebone safe for them? two.. i hate the idea of feeding my chinchillas dried squid bones.

Any ideas??? Hopefully someone will lend some advice, seems no one ever answers me on here..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Alot of people give tums. Cuttlebone is fine for them. However, it would be best to have an exam & blood test done to be sure it's a calcium deficiancy.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How old is he?

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Proud New Mommy

He is about a year.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Haha, yeah, what she said. But yeah, he's 1 year old.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cuttlebone is safe, yes. But it could be other deficiencies as well. The yellow color on a chin's teeth is actually caused by iron deposits, not calcium deposits. The only way to know for sure is to have some blood drawn to check the calcium level. You can try the cuttlebone in the mean time, it probably won't hurt. The shades can vary slightly depending on several factors.

Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Irregular and Proud!

I've heard it can also be vitamin A deficiency or sometimes that they can do a lot of chewing and take the orange coating off their teeth (although I think that's probably not accurate). It is best to get bloodwork done. Several of us have a list of "normal" blood values for chins as we've had it done. HOwever, your vet should also be able to provide you with those. Even if nothing big is wrong, its never bad to have some bloodwork on file as a baseline in the event of problems down the road.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think that is what we are going to do next month. We have a wonderful exotic vet, who lives about 50 miles from here. Since we got this new boy we want to go ahead and take them both in for a checkup.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Just remember he may not have time to wait till 'next month'. Problems often start off small and then lead to other things. I'd hate for him to loose out in the end.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
black velvet, exotic vet