pear twigs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

pear twigs

I have a healthy fruit bearing pear tree in the back yard, and I was told that twigs on the pear tree make good treats for chinchillas, just wanted to know what other peopel though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

yes they would..usually any kind of fruit tree especially apples. i used to get the twigs and cut them the size i wanted. then i would boil them in a big pot for 20 mins then dry them on a tray in the oven at around 350degrees for another 20 mins or so. This way you know there are no bugs or disease that can make ur chin sick. My girl loved it and we had sticks to last us through the winter without the expense of the pet store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Newborn Pup

You need to make sure the tree has not had any type of pesticide or fertilizer on it in the last 10 or so years. If it's not, you'll need to clean and bake them before giving them to chinchillas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I haven't givin them much yet, but I was only giving them new growth twigs. There small and soft and no chance of having bigs in them. They love the strip off the green skin. They have enough hard stuff to chew on.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Newborn Pup

New growth could still have pesticides if it's been sprayed in the last year. I think I'm remembering that correctly. You really need to clean and bake the wood. There could, and probably are, parasites in the green wood that need to be killed by the baking. The reason for scrubbing is to get any dirt/feces off of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
chinchilla breeder

I believe a tree has to be 10 years without pesticides to be safe. And green is not good, you want to bake it and dry it out. Green may cause the chinchillas to develop diahreah

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..