Peppers for my saucy girl - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Peppers for my saucy girl

Well, last night my husband and I were grilling out, and we cut up some green and red peppers for an appetizer. So we were stuffing our faces, when my husband George asked, "Do you think the chins would like peppers?" Now, we are pretty standard with our treats these days. We give raisins, although in the past I've given other dried fruit and rosehips and small pieces of fresh fruit. So we decided to give it a try. I know their not supposed to have a lot of greens, but I figured at least they would be a low in sugar treat.

So we went to the cage with a red pepper strip (figured that red peppers had a sweeter taster and more vitamins) and this is how it went down.

Max said, "Yuck! Don't point that thing at me."
Muad'dib said, "Maybe I'll try a little. Yum! Or not! Yum! Or not!"
Maureen said, "Oh, this is great! Chomp! Chomp! Chomp! Hand over the rest, mommie! You know what, I'll take the boy's piece."

It will only be an occasional treat and it was only a raisin sized piece, but I was amused. My chins has taken bits of apple, peach, pear, or plum before but I've never gotten them to get past sniffing a vegetable. I'd also like to try orange and yellow peppers sometime.

Anyone else get their chins to eat odd treats?

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:45 AM

they cant have oranges, the acid is to much for them. i dont know about the peppers, i never even thought about them. maybe someone else has on here...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar
they cant have oranges, the acid is to much for them.
Patti was saying orange or yellow peppers, not oranges okay smack my hand for clarifying, hahaha..... I've never tried peppers for our chinnies, thought it would be to acidy I guess. All our chins in the past and the 2 we have now have been pretty traditional with their treats.... maybe someday I'll get a little more adventurous for them,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've tried pea sized pieces of green pepper and the only one who'd eat them was Elvis. Anyone else ran. They do like baby spinach but due to the oxalates, I only gave a small amount and won't buy it for them, just share small pieces when we have it.

Kiwi is a favorite, they'll lick the juice off my fingers if I've been eating any. They like some apples but not all. Surprisingly, none of them wanted the mango I offered, though they'll eat it dried. Picky chinnies!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think that it is all a matter of individual taste in chins. Almost all like raisins, but after that, it is kind of a toss-up. Maureen is a garbage disposal, but the other two are quite finicky. Unless I buy a box of that 'chinchilla cocktail' it is usually just raisins for them. I will try kiwi sometime, but that may also have a bit of citric acid. Well, in the end, it is what works for you and them anyway. Maureen has a fondness for dried coconut, which I later found out that I shouldn't feed her due to potential instestinal injury.

P.S. Maureen says hi to Elvis. It appears that they are kindred spirits in being adventurous eaters as well as medical bill champions!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:03 PM

My chins love dried carrots! That is just about their favorite treat. We have tried dried kiwi, strawberries (tops on), watermelon, bananas, and blue berries.
One of our little guys (before he went to his new home) would eat everything. He was small and the other babies all picked on him so we spoiled him and let him try way too much junk. He really liked jello (just a little)!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 11:53 PM

Once I tried to give Mo a tiny piece of strawberry. Funniest thing I ever saw. He walked up, sniffed it, then jumped and spun and immediately began wiping his nose like crazy. We've never tried anything weird since then. I just stick to the normal stuff: raisins, banana yogurt treats, and shredded wheat.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 02:10 AM

Jello? lol oh, I've got to whip some up and try it. It's hot here now so I've been chilling the snacks in the fridge, I wonder if they would like a little jello? I'll grab the camera !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 09:54 AM

Ben & Dustie will not eat any fresh fruits or vegies if they are wet. That is why I dry everything. Except for a (very) ocasional grape! Before eating his, Ben will sit on his first. I never can find the camera fast enough.

Tags
dried fruit, shredded wheat