PLUCK a furchewer?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

PLUCK a furchewer?!

I was thrilled to get my hot little hands on one of the books my vet has here. It appears that it was published in 2003 and has some really useful info that I've highlighted for myself but I just had to share this tidbit.

In a section on furchewing, it's noted that "the affected individual will not regrow any fur whilst the short dark undercoat is present. The dark dead fur must be plucked from the affected areas, and a soothing cream applied onto the pale skin."

I nearly FELL OVER. I have a fur chewer and this is TOTALLY not the case. Never, ever have I done anything to his chewed fur and it's always regrown. He's looked like a normal chin several times between chewing bouts.

I should also mention that this book is UK based and I've disagreed with or questioned several other items.

I was just astounded that someone recommended plucking large quantities of fur out of an animal. It hurts to pluck my eyebrows, I can't imagine doing this with more than 80 hairs per follicle! Ouch!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Ya know, a while back there was some big drama (I don't even remember where) about a girl that plucked her chinchilla b/c it had some kind of fur problem (chewing I believe). I wonder if that's where she got that goofy idea from?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Get this: the same section said that if the chewing is diagnosed as a behaviorial problem, Prozac could be prescribed.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Plucking the fur chewer would definitely teach them a lesson. I bet they would never chew their fur again! "Oh no, here comes mom with the tweezers again, I'd better stop this bad habit!"

Rhonda

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Scarlette, you're terrible!!

Stephanie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

lol @ scarlette

that is horrible. I can't imagine doing such a thing. Poor chinnie

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Get this: the same section said that if the chewing is diagnosed as a behaviorial problem, Prozac could be prescribed.
LOL! Maybe if your chin was Tony Soprano!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I wonder how many times the plucker gets bitten?

Can we say plucker here?

Rhonda

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
I wonder how many times the plucker gets bitten?

Can we say plucker here?
LOL! If the chin was Tony Soprano you wouldn't have to worry about getting bitten! You'd end up with concrete boots! LOL

Plucker!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:54 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
Can we say plucker here?

Omg, I'm laughing so hard it hurts.

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Proud New Mommy

omg...That's aweful. I can't imagine someone trying to learn about chinnies, with no previous knowledge, and picking up a book like that, getting prozac and plucking fur out of their chinchilla because it's chewing. It sound funny but could you imagine it? Man... I hope no one gets that book that doesn't know anything about chinchillas.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
I can't imagine someone trying to learn about chinnies, with no previous knowledge, and picking up a book like that
I swear that's why I always post my questions on a board like this! I know eventually someone will step in and tell me the correct information if I'm totally off base!

Quote:
Can we say plucker here?
OMG you guys are so funny!

~Nellie
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Ya'll are too much.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|