poo problems? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

poo problems?

Chinnie my male who is 6 months old has much larger droppings
than Deja our new 1 year old female, hers are small and some are almost round unlike regular droppings. Is this something to worry about?

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

This means that your chin is most likely constipated. Usually you can take care of this yourself by giving a few extra raisins. I personally will give 2 when I notice a hard round poo, then the next day see how the poo's are, and if they are still bad, give 1. I do that until it clears, usually it only takes a day or so. If the constipation was to last a really long time, then you would want to take it to the vet.

Also, take all of the hay away from her. Hay will make constipation worse. She can have it back when her poo's get more normal.

How long have you had this new chin? Sometimes stress of new homes can either make their poo's soft or hard. If it's been less than a month, she should be away from the other chinchilla until you are sure she is not sick.

So anyway, give her a extra raisin, I'm sure she'll love it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie1985
Also, take all of the hay away from her. Hay will make constipation worse. She can have it back when her poo's get more normal.
Not to sound rude, but hay does not cause constipation at all. That information is entirely incorrect. Chinchillas need hay at all times, it should be given freely during times of constipation AND diarrhea.

For small poos, I would advise a small piece of fresh pineapple, dried papaya or papaya enzyme. A pea sized amount of Petromalt (for cats) can also be given in case of fur blockage in the intestines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you both for replying so quickly Deja is munching on some pineapple right now and i gave her a raisin treat too.

Lois Isabel

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Part of the Pack

Hopefully she will be back to normal in no time.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Just thought i would post to say that Deja is having normal droppings now Also we went to the vet and she said that besides lacking protein (her previous owner probably didnt give her hay) she is fine. The vet also said that the lack of protein is a big reason for fur chewing, trying to get protein from the hair. I was really sad to hear that, it just seems so desperate trying to get protein by eating your own fur. I really hope that Deja is happier now Her fur is slowly growing out and i will post a few pics once she is in her most excellent shape.

Lois Isabel