Poop Issues! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Poop Issues!

I have noticed over the past couple days that Haileys poop is a bit mushy, not quite hard like normal but not so soft you cannot pick it up. Is there anything I can do to get it back to normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Proud New Mommy

If you're feeding raisins, cut them out of her diet for a few days or until it clears up. What kind of pelleted food are you feeding? If the poo gets runny or much worse, only offer timothy hay for food, no pellets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

She is eating some Chinchilla food from petsmart. It has a lot of stuff in it. She also eat cherios. She does not like raisens. But I have stopped giving her those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS
She is eating some Chinchilla food from petsmart. It has a lot of stuff in it. She also eat cherios. She does not like raisens. But I have stopped giving her those.

there may be too many treats in the food.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

That new chinchilla food I saw at petsmart looked horrible to me. (the same brand as the reggie rat food) I couldn't believe it. When I had chins I gave regular pellets with nothing added and a raison a day...plus hay. If the poops got a little mushy I cut out raisons and that usually worked.

*Missy*
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Plain pellets are the best form of diet for a chinchilla as they contain all the nutrients and vitamins they need plus they prevent selective feeding whereas with mixes the chin needs to eat it all to get all the correct nutrients etc... And you often find they selectively feed with mixes, picking out their favourite bits. I personally think it is best to feed a diet based on good quality pellets and fresh good quality hay with the odd treat here and there

Going back to the matter in hand i would cut out any treats till the poo has returned to normal, if it gets worse take the food out of the cage and only offer hay to her till it becomes more solid. You could also try charcol cobs (if you can get some of those) or you could burn some wholemeal toast and give her a little of that as the charcol will help bind the poo

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

You need to find chin pellets that are healthy for chins. Pet store feed (especially the kind with treats in them) is not healthy for chins. Here is the web site of a woman who offers healthy chin pellets. They are less expensive than the kind you get at pet stores even with shipping included. She does not charge handling costs just actual shipping price. http://www.rivendellunlimited.com/

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Proud New Mommy

Chinchilla food with treats in it (ie: corn, bananas, raisins, and colorful puffs) is absolutely worthless to a chinchilla's health.

In general, they are very picky eaters and as long as they're not starving they will pick the treats out of their food bowl and leave the 'yucky' pellets behind. Alot of pelleted food that petstores have for chinchillas don't have the essential nutrients to keep a chinchilla in good health. Chinchillas have a very sensitive digestive system and often diarreah will result out of a poor diet. Obviously diarreah can lead to worse problems and high vet bills.

Aside from getting a healthy pelleted food, like Mazuri (which is what I fed), it is MUCH cheaper than the petstore brands of chinchilla food.

Make sure that if you so decide to switch her diet to a healthier pellet, do it slowly. With such a sensitive digestive system, switching it too quickly can give her tummy aches and promise you some diarreah nightmares!! Then she'll have poopy fur. hehe, it's happened to me.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
food bowl, pet store, pet stores, rat food, timothy hay