Possible chin food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Possible chin food

Hi, I would like to know if chinchillas are able to eat rodent teklad lab blocks supplemented with hay for the fiber needed. It is the high protein teklad blocks (2020x to be exact) and and when checking the protein, fat, etc amount it is similar to mazuri chin food and the diet requirements needed for chins just without the necessary fiber which I would supplement with timothy hay as stated before. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Playful Pup

Well, when I went to the vet with my newly adopted Chin, (Who was previously on a food meant for other animals that the previous owner had it on) They said no matter what, a chinchilla should always be kept on it's own food, even if it has similar diet requirements. Just a little off can make a very very sick chinchilla. Chinchilla Pellets are your best bet, and of course, buy timothy hay as well for it. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Rodentologist

I looked up the ingredients:

Ground wheat, ground corn, corn gluten meal, wheat middlings, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, brewers dried yeast, L-lysine, iodized salt, magnesium oxide, choline chloride, DL-methionine, calcium propionate, L-tryptophan, vitamin E acetate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), manganous oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A acetate, calcium iodate, vitamin B12 supplement, chromium potassium sulfate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate

Basically these are in no way suitable for chinchillas. The fiber is way too low and the first group of ingredients (wheat and corn) cause major issues like stasis in chins. Stick to chin pellets.

For comparison, here are Oxbow's chinchilla pellets:

Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Limestone, Salt, L-ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Cane Molasses, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Ascorbic Acid, Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate

They need a base diet of hay, and the fiber in the Teklad pellets is so low as to be non-existant.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 PM
chinchilla breeder

I agree not suitable for a chinchilla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:12 AM
canis lupus familiaris

no way! Oxbow is much better for chins.

And just as an fyi, even if a food has a ton of hay in it, you should still give loose timothy. Also when I had chins, they took to loose better than cubed hay. I'm not sure if it was because it was kaytee (poor hay) or because loose hay is easier to chew when they're bored.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Playful Pup

My chin adores orchard grass over all other hay...she also like timothy...both are long grain...there are a few others that are suitable to give everyday to a chin

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Newborn Pup

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
I looked up the ingredients:

Ground wheat, ground corn, corn gluten meal, wheat middlings, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, brewers dried yeast, L-lysine, iodized salt, magnesium oxide, choline chloride, DL-methionine, calcium propionate, L-tryptophan, vitamin E acetate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), manganous oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A acetate, calcium iodate, vitamin B12 supplement, chromium potassium sulfate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate

Basically these are in no way suitable for chinchillas. The fiber is way too low and the first group of ingredients (wheat and corn) cause major issues like stasis in chins. Stick to chin pellets.

For comparison, here are Oxbow's chinchilla pellets:

Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Limestone, Salt, L-ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Cane Molasses, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Ascorbic Acid, Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate

They need a base diet of hay, and the fiber in the Teklad pellets is so low as to be non-existant.
about corns!!! i work in a small petting zoo we have two cages with chinchillas the one of the cages is not really one of the zoos but some kids there own it.
it to long a story to tell here but anyway those Chinchillas get corn and bunny pellets and there seem to be doing okay there dont look like there dont get what there need but im not an expert i just got chinchillas myself so i dont have the XP to tell.
im giveing my chinchillas Chinchilla pellets and alittle cracked corn im still new to this but i have really read up on it and im still learning i really like chinchillas but im trying to keep a open mind

Last edited by kibasnowpaw; 10-08-2010 at 01:54 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 PM
chinchilla breeder

A lot of vets and zoos actually feed bad things to chinchillas. Corn is very bad and can cause bloat in chinchillas. You should not be giving your chinchilla cracked corn

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Newborn Pup

hm... then i dont feed them that but you know i dont like the word can give that mean it can happen but you never know it not a yes or a no reply it just a maybe that like saying if i go out the door now it can happen a roof tile falls down on my head but if you mean its so bad then i gonna stop ^^ in my world animals it not more sensitive then you make them yeah zoo make feed them wrong food but if the animal look good and dont look like there in pain or dont have a bad health then whats the problem just my Just my opinion
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
chinchilla breeder

I don't think you understand my "can give" I mean there is a direct link between corn and bloat in chinchillas. Going to show and being around the ranchers one of the first things I learned is how important diet and water are, Corn is one of the biggest no nos out there. There is a bacteria that comes naturally on corn that causes bloat. And corn really ins't digestable properly even in people......

there was a yes or no reply we all said NO. not safe. with dietary issues bad health doesn't crop up over night it is a slow decline. Put a chinchilla on the wrong diet next to one on a great diet and you will see a difference. You don't see the issues when they are young you see it as they age. How many chinchillas do you know live to be 20? I have had many here and I know of many ranchers who have had chinchillas still breeding late into teens. You don't see that often with "pet" chinchillas because often they are killed with kindness

A poor diet may not make them sick each time but it will lower their life span. and I am saying feeding a chinchilla corn will kill them.. not a freak accident like a tile hiting your head I mean it is bad for their health.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Chinchillas View Post
I don't think you understand my "can give" I mean there is a direct link between corn and bloat in chinchillas. Going to show and being around the ranchers one of the first things I learned is how important diet and water are, Corn is one of the biggest no nos out there. There is a bacteria that comes naturally on corn that causes bloat. And corn really ins't digestable properly even in people......

there was a yes or no reply we all said NO. not safe. with dietary issues bad health doesn't crop up over night it is a slow decline. Put a chinchilla on the wrong diet next to one on a great diet and you will see a difference. You don't see the issues when they are young you see it as they age. How many chinchillas do you know live to be 20? I have had many here and I know of many ranchers who have had chinchillas still breeding late into teens. You don't see that often with "pet" chinchillas because often they are killed with kindness

A poor diet may not make them sick each time but it will lower their life span. and I am saying feeding a chinchilla corn will kill them.. not a freak accident like a tile hiting your head I mean it is bad for their health.

im sry i didnt understand your question right but about the con i cant do anything about like i said it not really a cage the belong to the Zoo i can only say there have to feed them some better food but that all and i dont feed my chinchilla them sins i have read it can be bad for chinchillas and then i gonna stop given them cracked corn it only my 2 day i have them so it my first real time i have chinchillas myself and i will try to give them the right thing and give them what there need

oh btw is there a defence on Chinchilla pellets for i got some with the Chinchilla i got and there is biger then the one i have but beside that there look and small the same

Tags
chinchilla food, rodent, teklad