Praline hates me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy Praline hates me

Well since I mentioned it in Karen's thread, I thought I'd update.

The 22nd I was cleaning cages at about 6pm and pulled Praline out to clean her cage. I'd already swept the shelves off and didn't notice any blood or anything unusual. I pulled Praline out and nearly had a heart attack. She had another wound, and this time it was much bigger and much worse. There wasn't a drop of blood in the cage (I still can't see how!) and she'd been eating, drinking, totally normal.

I took her in that night (God bless my vet, she came in on a Friday night for me and was there until 10pm!) and she had to be sedated and stitched back together. Praline has fat deposits under her arms from being chunky (hence the wheel) and one had caught on something in the cage and apparently torn, leaving the fat exposed and dry so it had started to die. Dr. P had to take at least 1/2 the fat pad out, which left a big pocket.

She was put on some antibiotics and pain meds and sent home. All looked good for about the first 3-4 days. Then it was suddenly very inflamed and swollen. I had her out to medicate her a day or so later and noticed some seepage which turned out to be thick, nasty pus. So we had to re-open the wound and flush it out. I'd gotten a lot of purulent material out the night before, and all that was there was a big accumulation of fluid, known as a seroma. Because there was this big empty space where the fat pad had been, fluid was building up. Meaning we had to either put a drain in, which is rarely if ever done in rodents, or keep pressure on it. So we opted for a body wrap.

She hated me and life for the entire time the wrap was on. I took her back in for a recheck and there was still fluid, so we were forced to put a drain in. She had to keep the wrap on though, to keep the pressure there and keep her from chewing at the bandage. I think this was on for 3-4 days, though they've all pretty much blurred together. I took her back today to recheck and we took the drain out and left the wrap off, but she's not been eating or drinking the past few days due to the wrap so I've been hand feeding and giving fluids daily.

The area is still really inflamed and irritated, and she wanted to pick at the sutures, so she's now e-collared and hates it and me all the more. I'm hand feeding 4x a day, medicating, and giving fluids daily, so bear with me if I'm not around much. If you pray, please send one up for a fast recovery for Praline. She's stressed, I'm stressed, and we're both pretty much worn out.

The good news is that I found the source of the problem that caused this and the other wound. Someone (I think Chris might've, I certainly don't remember) had apparently put a nail in one of the shelf supports to help keep the shelf stable. The shelves are glued to wooden supports, with the whole point being the lack of a sharp screw or nail for the chins to get hurt on. It was at the very back of the left side shelf in their cage, so I couldn't see that they'd chewed around it and exposed the tip. I feel so awful that I missed it the first time; I sat and cried when I found it, after taking a hammer to the shelf and nail at 3am and probably waking the whole building, that is.

Sorry for the long post! I attached a picture of her in the body wrap and hating life. Don't mind the fur quality, obviously she hasn't had a dust bath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bodywrap.jpg (55.9 KB, 51 views)

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:13 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aw.... i'm so sorry, steph. poor praline. i hope she gets better soon. all animals get angry when their owners have to take them to the vet, etc. but you know it is for the best. you and praline are in my thoughts.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Im sorry Steph! Poor Praline...as mad as she probably is in that picture...she is still adorable. Once she is feeling better and back up to speed, Im sure that she will love you all the more for taking care of her...even though she cant show it now. Im glad you found the cause of the problem too, and dont beat yourself up about it, you didnt know and the problem should be solved now. Hang in there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:31 AM
I Heart My Job

poor little girl. At leastyou've found the problem and fixed it.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Poor Praline. Of course you know i'm here if you need me. Vent away.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Aww! I feel so bad that you and Praline have to go through all of that. I'm glad that you found the source of the problem.

Hugs to both of you. Praline will get over it and realize what a wonderful and dedicated mommy she has.

Rhonda

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Poor Praline! She looks so miserable.

But, you know what is best for her, and she may not look like it now, but she understands that you're doing what is best for her and she thanks you for it. She knows how much she's loved.

Big hug to you and Praline both!

Karen

[

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 AM

I'm sorry all of that happened Steph On a good note, at least she lost some of that fat - chinnie liposuction! *Did ya laugh just a little?*
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

i hope she will be ok. i will be thinking about her and her fast recovery. Im sure she doesnt hate you.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

I'm hoping she gets better really soon, Steph. That's a lot of stress for one little chinnie (and her brave and faithful owner) to go through. I'm sure, you know, years later, she'll forget you did this to her, lol.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Steph, I feel so bad for you and Praline. She has been through so much as well as you. I am sending get well and quick healing vibes to her.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Aww, sorry she hurt herself again!! You're such a good pet-owner though, and bless your vets heart for being so thoughtful of you two!

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

You poor girls! I hope she heals quick and never has anymore problems.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

poor Praline!! i hope she has a speedy recovery and stops hurting herself!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Poor little Praline.

She certainly does seem to have a mean glint in her eye. Tell her she looks good in red for me, Steph!

I'm sending all the get well vibes I can Praline's way for a speedy recovery.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
dust bath